best way to learn MCSE

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
well im about done with my teach yourself windows server 2003 in 24 hours and i thought it was really simple i now know the basics and how to use a windows server 2003 system but i want to go further and become an expert, also my goal is to at some point learn exchange server since both are great things to know.

now i think MCSE is the path i want to go but how exactly should i start my road to getting a MCSE cert? i was looking at something like this http://www.testout.com/mcse/index.htm anyone have any experiance with those training videos yu can get or is there some good books i could get?

the best way is to get your hands dirty and have some tests to go along with it.

I will give you my method and then you can try whatever.

1st the website www.mcmcse.com
go there and join the forum. It is very useful.

2nd the tests aren't that hard, but you need to know the information down to the gnat's ass. Also remember 1 thing from my post. Access control lists, learn them and love them as they are on almost every test.

what I did was get 4 cheap dells and use them to do all of the test functions from the trancender and exam cram information. Those were pretty thorough. I then went and got the testking tests, read them through till I knew the information and went and took the tests. Passed each one 2-3 weeks apart. Its really no harder than a semester in college at a good school. Actually I think getting 4 machines and the microsoft books could pass the tests also. Specifically the new books. The old ones aren't as good so try to get the newest books possible.

The affordable and effective way if you like reading:

Buy some books - The MS Press ones aren't too bad.
Get some extra computers or VMware
Download the evaulations from Microsoft (the MS Press books sometimes have them on CD)
Read, experiment and learn

If you like the video route, I hear CBT Nuggets are pretty good. Trancender has good practice (non-braindump) test. I think the testking test are braindumps, which kinda defeats the purpose of the certification anyway.

I would use Transcender, MS Press and/or Sybex, and most importantly hands on knowledge. For the love of everything holy, don't cheapen the certification by using brain dumps such as testking. If you don't have the knowledge to back up the cert, it won't do you any good anyway. Fakers are very quickly identified in IT.

Back