Best way to install new mobo..

l0cke

Gawd
So I am upgrading from my lowly foxconn (which still works perfect, but no SLI) to a MSI SLI board. The MSI has a built it creative codec, and I want to use that instead of my sound card.

What is the best way to remove creative drivers from my computer? and any other tips on installing a new mobo?

Drivers can be uninstalled via Hardware manager
Right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware tab> Hardware Manager

But your best bet is to just disable it instead of uninstalling drivers.. Done at the same place..

Installing a new mobo is cake
Unplug everything, unscrew all screws that you see on the mobo and remove it, replace rear I/O Guard, Make sure new mobo and stand offs line up, Lay down new board, put screws back in.. Plug everything back together.. Fresh install of Windows will prolly be required tho, so backup everything.

Shouldnt take more than 20 min for a N00b

You can also try a driver removal tool, like driver cleaner pro to be extra sure all traces are out.. probably not necessary, but if you want to be really catious.

as far as other tips go, if these two mobos have different chipsets, be sure to use the driver cleaner to take all of the chipset drivers out before you swap hardware.. lots of times the wrong chipset driver can lock up XP.. I ususally re-install XP if I am moving to a mobo with a different chipset.. you can speed up the install by actually re-installing a plane-jane frsh copy of XP on your current hardware sans chipset or any specific drivers for your machine, then swap the hardware, then boot the fresh copy on your new machine, it should not complain because it's essentially in "safe mode" still with no specific drivers loaded.. then load all your goodies up on the fresh copy on your new hardware.. this by-passes that whole getting a floopy ready for extra drivers and other unforseen issues with installing XP on a new mobo for the first time.. it makes it pretty easy really. :) good luck.

My old board has NF4 chipset while the new one is NF4-SLI. That shouldn't matter, though, should it?

ok, that's not too bad.. but I'd for sure use the driver cleaner to clean all traces of "nforce" (not "Nvidia", that cleans the video drivers, "nforce" will do the chipset) before the hardware swap.. it's easy to do and could save you some big headaches if conflict issues were to creep up. :)

Back