Best way to implement OS Drive + Raid 5

Langly

Supreme [H]ardness
Heres the situation:
Mobo: DFI DK-X48-T2RS
Oldsetup - 1 OS HD + 2 random hds for storage (no raid)

New-Setup - 1OS HD +3 1tb drives in raid 5

So I did this to start. I have win7 already installed on my OS drive. Its a raptor 150gb. I took out my old storage drives and installed my 3 1tb drives. I set my bios options for my HDs to do Raid. I then booted up windows on my OS drive and it would BSOD on bootup. Now I know that this is probably a driver issue or bios setting with the raid array. I also made sure all 3 of the new drives are assigned to the raid5 array.

I can set it back to normal ATA mode and it boots off my HD fine. All signs point to driver problem in the OS.

So heres the question: What do I got to do to Windows7 to get the raid functionality to work? I go into device manager and it looks like its using the default windows drivers rather than the proper driver package. I've tried intels site looking for the ich9 driver and we all know DFI's website is shit (plus the drivers there were no good)

Anyone else gotten Raid 5 to work well with this particular mobo in win7?

Your BSOD is because Win 7 doesn't have the appropriate chipset driver for ACHI/ RAID. Easy to Google and fix.

Best would be to-reinstall Win 7 with the OS drive(s) connected to the PC with either ACHI or RAID mode enabled, but you can Google the fix if you don't want to do that.

maybe it was late at night when I was doing this.

My google search was failing. I decided to just backup and reinstall win7.

maybe it was late at night when I was doing this.

My google search was failing. I decided to just backup and reinstall win7.

:) I never like reinstalling, but nowadays it is so easy that I'm always happy when I do.

Back