Best way to get phones with each workstation

ChriX

Limp Gawd
I've got about 10 workstations on a wired network over 3 houses now, and I was wondering what would be the best way to give each workstation a phone to ring any of the others. I don't need to be able to make external calls on any of these - it's just to ring eachother to ask for a lan game or something, laziness! :p

I know the best way would be voip with a load of those cisco phones but I can't afford that, so what would be the next best thing without breaking the bank?

You don't need to go with Cisco for IP phones, plenty of others that are cheaper. Could also use software phones/USB phone on each computer, then run Asterisk to tie it all together.

Why not just use aim or something? If you want to use a phone like program try skype.

what about the windows messaging?

if you go to task manager and look at all the accounts logged on, and i think if you're doing this on a network, u can see the other accounts of the other computers and send messages that way to just appear on their screen

i know you can do this on one computer sending a message to another account on the same one, but im not sure about on a network altho i heard somewhere that this feature was developed for network administrators to post notices to clients... correct me if im wrong

A small PBX system.

You can pick up and older one for about 50$ at swapmeets.
Its basiaclly a tiny phone system often used in small offices and warehouses

Back