Best way to control a small form factor workhorse from laptop?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey what's up guys. I'm looking to build a mini-itx and throw a quad in it.

I want to control this powerhouse from my laptop so I can offload tasks to it like a workhorse.

What is the very best way to do this? Other than remote desktop because when I tried doing that in the past it was slow as crap. I need something more direct and efficient.

I am wanting to be able to work from within so I can run programs off the cores. But do it from my laptop without installing another monitor. That way I can lug both around in my bag.

Last edited:
Ok I just found something on google called a KVM switch. I'm going to do some more reading on these.

Actually from the pic it looks exactly like what I am looking for. Is this the best method? What do you guys think.

KVM's have been around forever and are widely used. That would work fine.

About Remote Desktop, you where probably using VNC, which IS slow as crap.

Even over WiFi in my house if I Remote Desktop into a machine its like I'm using it locally. MORE then fast enough to do anything you need.

I would be using Remote Desktop over anything else as it is VERY fast and free.

Really? The last time I tried it was on XP. So when if install windows 7 I'll have this feature and it will be blazing fast? That would be very very good.

OK also. That is definitely good enough, but even better is it possible to have a window open of the remote desktop and be running my local machine desktop at the same time? Or is still like it was before and logging in remote takes over your whole computer?

Last edited:
Yea, you can minimize or shrink the RD window.

If these machines will both be wired to your network then RD is definetly the way to go.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Really? The last time I tried it was on XP. So when if install windows 7 I'll have this feature and it will be blazing fast? That would be very very good.
It's very fast with XP. If you thought it was slow, you had other issues going on. I use RDP over a VPN connection from home to update and manage my servers, and it is lightning quick. RDP on the same network would be even faster.

Back