Best Way To Connect Your Soundcard to Reciever?

cappy

n00b
I have a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Soundcard, and was wondering what would be the best way to connect it to my reciever. It's probably a pretty basic question, but sound is something that always seems to confuse me. Help, please!

the answer is, "it depends".

we don't know what receiver you have, we don't know how far away from your pc it is, what your budget is for cabling, etc.

if you're doing 5.1/6.1/7.1, where are you going to do your decoding? the soundcard? the receiver, an external decoder?

does the receiver have toslink input? does it have discrete multichannel analog inputs for an external decoder(the audigy, in this case)?

are you even connecting it for multichannel, or are you just trying to dump the audio from something like oh... say, itunes into your home stereo?

If you know 'what' you're trying to accomplish, the creative website support area isn't too awful bad nowadays at telling you the 'how' to do it part.

in my case, I have the same audio card and a denon 4802. the only thing I ever send from pc to the receiver is internet radio via itunes. I typically just use the headphone jack on the breakout box from the card and run that to an aux audio input on the receiver, after configuring the zx output for 2 channel sound. If it is local mp3, is just pull that plug and stick it directly into an ipod instead.

I wouldn't recommend using the zs or a software decoder for DD or DTS, unless your receiver can't do it, or basically sucks at doing it.

Oops, I just realized this was the htpc section, so that is probably what you're after. I retired my htpc the day progressive dvd players became available(I have a plasma, if I was running a projector that needed custom resolutions/special scalar, I might still be an HTPC fan).

Back