Best way to connect Studio monitors to soundcard/headphone amp

matt_to_the_max

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a titanium HD soundcard in my pc that is connected from the line out to the line in on a Schiit Magni 2 headphone amp which I use to either listen to my current logitech speaker setup and my Philips Fidelio x2 headphones. I felt like upgrading my 10 plus year old logitech 2.1 speakers to something much better so I bought a SVS PB-2000 subwoofer and currently have it installed near my PC. I am going to buy the JBL-LSR305 studio monitors when I can get them for under $230 a pair. I will also like to buy an Emotiva Control freak to control the volume without having to mess with the potentiometer on the magni amp. Then I will run RCA cables from the magni's pre amp line out to the control freak then out to the subwoofer. From the subwoofer, I will use the line out which will go to the lsr305 monitors using rca to TRS cables. The SVS-PB2000's line out has a 80Hz high pass filter, would this be the optimal setup? Or should I buy two y adapters and split both the right and left channels so that the sub and studio monitors get their own signal? (In this situation the monitors would be able to reach below 80Hz.) Thanks!

-Matt
35cjudg.jpg

Last edited:
No need for the Y cables, I think what you have planned will work fine. Though, if you want the Emotiva CF to control volume for your headphones as well, I'd connect it in front of the magni2 amp instead of behind it.

The less cables, connections and devices in the signal path, the better, if you care about clarity.
When I use my stereo Minimax+ DAC, it has no volume control so I use the PC to control it.
(for music, using Foobar 2000s volume control and WASAPI exclusive mode plugin)
This then plugs directly into my power amps, there is no volume control apart from the PC.
The above make a big difference to clarity, imaging and stereo effects on my kit.

Use as short a cable as you can.

The LSR manual discusses using unbalanced inputs with TS cables, so it should not be a problem. I also recommend reading the connection section of Hypex's NC400 manual; it provides good details about feeding an SE source to a balanced input.

There's no such thing as an RCA to TRS (1:1) cable for this purpose, RCA is an unbalanced connector whereas TRS and XLR are balanced connectors.

Not exactly.

sch-bal_ps_trs_to_rca.jpg

XLRphono2.gif

xlr-rca-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
No need for the Y cables, I think what you have planned will work fine. Though, if you want the Emotiva CF to control volume for your headphones as well, I'd connect it in front of the magni2 amp instead of behind it.

Okay, thank you, yeah I could put the Emotiva CF before the magni2 amp but I can always change the volume on the amp itself. Now I'm thinking I should put it after the subwoofer and then I'll be able to mix in the speakers to what sounds best, but then again if I need to lower the bass I will have to go behind the sub and turn the gain down.

The less cables, connections and devices in the signal path, the better, if you care about clarity.
When I use my stereo Minimax+ DAC, it has no volume control so I use the PC to control it.
(for music, using Foobar 2000s volume control and WASAPI exclusive mode plugin)
This then plugs directly into my power amps, there is no volume control apart from the PC.
The above make a big difference to clarity, imaging and stereo effects on my kit.

Use as short a cable as you can.

Thank you, yes I agree; the shorter the cables, connections, and devices the better. Maybe I should just avoid the Emotiva CF all together and just change the volume from the magni amp and PC?

If you already have a serviceable volume control, it makes sense to use that rather than adding another in.

Okay, thank you, yeah I could put the Emotiva CF before the magni2 amp but I can always change the volume on the amp itself. Now I'm thinking I should put it after the subwoofer and then I'll be able to mix in the speakers to what sounds best, but then again if I need to lower the bass I will have to go behind the sub and turn the gain down.
Just skip the CF. The Magni mutes its pre-out when you connect phones, so its control can do both seamlessly. And all your speakers have level controls for balancing & gain staging.

Back