Best way to connect my 4870 X2 to my 1080p plasma...HDMI? VGA?

jonesad

Limp Gawd
Hello -
I have a 4870 X2 in my PC at the moment, and my computer sits very near my television, which is a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma (TH-50PZ700U). It has VGA in, and HDMI in, so I am wondering what is the best way to connect to it from my 4870x2?

Also, I've never actually connected a PC to a TV before, is there anything I would need (software) to adjust the display to get the exact refresh rate/resolution settings/etc to match my tv?

Thanks for any info!

HDMI just for the simple fact it can output audio as well. Not to mention it's like comparing VGA to DVI. Other than drivers there isn't any special software that you need to install.

You can also use DVI to HDMI cable will give same quality just no sound thru it.

You can also use DVI to HDMI cable will give same quality just no sound thru it.

I have a Vizio 37in 1080p hooked up to my BFG 260 using a DVI->HDMI adapter and I do have sound on the Vizio via HDMI. Not entirely sure why or how but I do - this may have happened when I installed a Blu-Ray drive; I remember the Blu-Ray drive came with a cable that went from the sound card to someplace - maybe the video card to pump sound over the DVI or something.

I have a Vizio 37in 1080p hooked up to my BFG 260 using a DVI->HDMI adapter and I do have sound on the Vizio via HDMI. Not entirely sure why or how but I do - this may have happened when I installed a Blu-Ray drive; I remember the Blu-Ray drive came with a cable that went from the sound card to someplace - maybe the video card to pump sound over the DVI or something.

Yes. You CAN send audio over the DVI port using an HDMI adapter if you run a cable from the S/PDIF header on your mobo/soundcard to the video card.

If your graphics card has HDMI out, then use that. Else use a DVI->HDMI cable.
http://www.monoprice.com has great prices on cables.

You want to use HDMI/DVI as it is an all digital signal, whereas VGA is analog.

thanks for all the info guys! my card only has 2 DVI outs, so looks like I'll be using the DVI-to-HDMI cable out to my TV. For sound, I'm going to go optical out of my soundblaster to my reciever. I only am not sure about 1 more thing:

1) Is it possible to have my dell monitor plugged into one of the DVI outs, and my TV plugged into the other DVI out (with the dvi/hdmi cable), and switch between displaying out to them? So like instead of having 2 monitors connected and sharing the desktop, have 2 monitors connected by use them each as their own display?

thanks for all the info guys! my card only has 2 DVI outs, so looks like I'll be using the DVI-to-HDMI cable out to my TV. For sound, I'm going to go optical out of my soundblaster to my reciever. I only am not sure about 1 more thing:

1) Is it possible to have my dell monitor plugged into one of the DVI outs, and my TV plugged into the other DVI out (with the dvi/hdmi cable), and switch between displaying out to them? So like instead of having 2 monitors connected and sharing the desktop, have 2 monitors connected by use them each as their own display?

There should be an option in the video drivers to clone the display. So both the tv and monitor will be running at the same resolution. Unless of course you want to use it as a 2nd monitor then you can just set it as extended desktop just like you would a normal monitor.

Using VGA on my Vizio 32" was just like using any other LCD monitor, not that great, but when I finally got my DVI-HDMI cable it was a completely different screen, it looks amazing now. VGA is terribad.

Back