Best way to configure Avira Free for XP Pro?

g|aSsJaw

Limp Gawd
I have been using AVG for a few years now, but after reformatting yesterday I decided to give Avira a try based on a friend's recommendation. I'm not familiar with this program, and was wondering if the default settings will be fine, or if there is a better way to configure it. Thanks for any help!

Congrats on moving away from AVG.....pretty much anything else you select will be much better.

Default install of Avira is fine.
Also consider Microsoft Security Essentials...another excellent and even easier free AV product. Either MSE or Avira..you can't go wrong.

+1 for MSE, Avira is very good also but I prefer MSE

I have been using AVG for a few years now, but after reformatting yesterday I decided to give Avira a try based on a friend's recommendation. I'm not familiar with this program, and was wondering if the default settings will be fine, or if there is a better way to configure it. Thanks for any help!
As it was suggested, default for Avira should be fine. You may want to look up online some tips on blocking the Avira update window that pops up every time it updates since it can be quite annoying.

As it was suggested, default for Avira should be fine. You may want to look up online some tips on blocking the Avira update window that pops up every time it updates since it can be quite annoying.

Yeah, my friend sent me the page on how to do that, so I took care of that already.

Glad to see that default settings will be fine. Thanks guys!

Avira is junk in my book.... last time I checked it has like what.. 8 services all by itself?

It is a huge resource hog.

Last time i saw it installed, it was also popping up ads all the time trying to get you to buy the full version.

MSE is WAY better than Avira.

Avira is junk in my book.... last time I checked it has like what.. 8 services all by itself?

Last time i saw it installed, it was also popping up ads all the time trying to get you to buy the full version.

Blocking the pop-ups is a very simple thing to do.

I'll see how it goes. If it's a resource hog, I'll try MSE.

I haven't use Avira in ages but I wasn't impressed with it when I did. If it really has 8 services that's nuts.

I use avast free every day and I have it installed on at least 20 machines. Much better virus protection than norton or avg, mse. I know from experience cleaning up infections on dozens of systems. It also uses way less system resources than norton or endpoint.

Avira did lose their "king of lightness" title moving to the recently new version 10. Version 9 and prior were one of the lightest out there..if not THE lightest. MSE still actually consumes more memory...but these days I don't worry about memory consumption anymore....I mean, really...unless you have some Pentium 3 struggling on 512 megs of RAM...with todays multi-core processors and (hopefully) >2 gigs of RAM systems...what shows up for processes and RAM consumption shouldn't be an issue. It's how well it's coded that counts (look at mcafee and panda for some heavy hitting examples). It's detection is still tops.

Last edited:
But one can argue that an application installing and running 8 services(if Avira currently really runs that many) is not an example of being well coded... regardless if you're running 2 gigs of ram or 8 gigs of ram.

I use avast free every day and I have it installed on at least 20 machines. Much better virus protection than norton or avg, mse. I know from experience cleaning up infections on dozens of systems. It also uses way less system resources than norton or endpoint.

Avast is very good, I've seen some family use it. The thing I found a pain was it botched the network no matter what I did. Tried messing with it for 20 min then gave it the boot.

Congrats on moving away from AVG.....pretty much anything else you select will be much better.

QFT and colored for emphasis. ;)

+1
I've went from Avast to MSE and back to Avast because I've seen some things sneak past MSE every once in awhile on other machines.

+2 Avast is very good, I've seen some family use it. The thing I found a pain was it botched the network no matter what I did. Tried messing with it for 20 min then gave it the boot. I'm sure there's a way around that I must have missed, I would hope. :)

But one can argue that an application installing and running 8 services(if Avira currently really runs that many) is not an example of being well coded... regardless if you're running 2 gigs of ram or 8 gigs of ram.

I'm not convinced there are 8....it's just someones post. I'd have to refer to an authority on it, or install it myself (which I don't care to do).

To entertain this post a with a few more minutes than I care to...one quick search over at Wilders Security..shows from 4 to 6 services for the new Avira version 10..depending on which options you decide to install. The "optional" mailguard and webguard each will add one process IF you opt for those components during the install.

Those guys over at Wilders are super propeller head antivirus enthusiasts, so I'll believe their words more than most other places.

The thread about the new version 10 was too long for me to bother with..but 2 posts show the actual memory consumption for the real time protection service was about 2 megs.

Avira is not a resource hog and is still the tops in detections.

I've went from Avast to MSE and back to Avast because I've seen some things sneak past MSE every once in awhile on other machines.

I've seen things sneak by Avira. I've seen things sneak by MSE. I've seen things sneak by virtually all AV's. It's bound to happen sooner or later on any AV product.

very easy to prevent that popup from happening.

Avira is not a resource hog and is still the tops in detections.

I don't think Avira's removal ability is up to snuff yet. Sure it's going to prevent the baddies most of the time, but if one does worm its way into your system, Avira itself is going to have issues removing it within Windows.

+1 for Avast

I don't think Avira's removal ability is up to snuff yet. Sure it's going to prevent the baddies most of the time, but if one does worm its way into your system, Avira itself is going to have issues removing it within Windows.

+1 for Avast

Based on? I base my comments on the results of the av comparative tests. Which more often than not show Avira at the top of the detections and removals.

Back