Best way to clone boot drive?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Megalith, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

So I'm on the verge of installing Windows 8.1. In the event of a fuck-up, I'd like to be able to restore the contents of my C: drive to EXACTLY the way it was before installation.

Most cloning software should allow me to do this, correct? Ideally, I'd like to be able to create a copy of C: on another internal drive and restore from that if 8.1 boots up and there's something severely broken.

My concern is that the restored version won't be a 1:1 copy or problematic in some way based on the sensitive nature of boot files.

2. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I recommend clonezilla however I myself would use ddrescue (being a person who uses windows and linux almost daily since the 1990s).

Either of these you would boot off a linux livecd (or as I prefer a usbstick) to do the clone. Possibly with only the source and destination drive installed.

3. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

Acronis True Image, will allow to select exactly what folders do you want to clone from a disk to other.. i've used that software tons of times no single issue at all, specially the western digital edition..

4. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Windows has built-in Backup & Restore. Just type in Backup in the search bar.

It will have you burn a bootable disc that will let you re-image the drive.

It can restore from an image on internal harddrive, external harddrive, and even another Windows computer on your network.

5. schmuckley

schmuckley [H]ard|Gawd

^This..and with the wd edition..You just have to have a wd drive plugged in,It doesn't have to be involved...and it's free! :D

Or you can use an Older Hiren's boot cd and Norton Ghost.
    You have to go back several versions, though.

6. REDYOUCH

REDYOUCH [H]ardness Supreme

I use GParted. Why not just install fresh on a new drive?

7. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

That's what I was thinkin. New OS, fresh install.

8. Firebug24k

Firebug24k [H]Lite

It takes extra work with GParted to get all the boot sector stuff correct - not that I don't love GParted, but Clonezilla is a better option in this case.

9. Shockey

Shockey [H]ard|Gawd

clonezilla is what i used to move from spinning disk to SSD :) and several other systems.

10. REDYOUCH

REDYOUCH [H]ardness Supreme

You have to click the partition, go to manage flags, and click the "boot" checkbox.

Not that much work.

11. joe123321

joe123321 n00b

gparted/clonezilla for sure.