Best way to clean a MBA screen?

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Have a new MBA 13", trying to think of the best way to keep the screen clean. All my experience is with matte screens, whats the best thing to use to clean the screen on like a weekly basis?

Thanks

A slightly damp (Water only!) soft cotton cloth if it's really dirty/soiled (Harsh chemicals can damage screens and anti-glare coatings). Microfiber otherwise. There's a reason a lot of manufacturers send microfiber cloths along with brand new display products, it works great and won't scratch the screen.

In my experience the best and safest method is to simply use your breath and a microfiber cloth; the humidity will be sufficient to remove any dirt or spots. Also, always wipe in a linear pattern (no circular motions or whatnot). I have managed to clean even the dirtiest monitors with this method.

In my experience the best and safest method is to simply use your breath and a microfiber cloth; the humidity will be sufficient to remove any dirt or spots. Also, always wipe in a linear pattern (no circular motions or whatnot). I have managed to clean even the dirtiest monitors with this method.

You people crack me up. Your method is nonsensical!
I have had dozens of laptops including a macbook and I could safely say you could clean the screen with a damp cloth and not have a problem.

You people crack me up. Your method is nonsensical!
I have had dozens of laptops including a macbook and I could safely say you could clean the screen with a damp cloth and not have a problem.
Care to explain in what it is nonsensical ?

I've been using windex or generic glass cleaner and either paper towel or cotton cloth for about 20 years now. I have never had a screen get scratched when I am cleaning it.

Now if you drop it at the beach or have it in a shop next to a grider, sander, or sand blaster (all stupid ideas), then you might want to be a little bit more careful.

And those of you saying that breath and/or a damp cloth with get any screen clean... apparently you have not had to clean screens that have dried on food, drink, etc. on them.

That's not nonsense, a microfiber is the cheapest/best cloth to clean a display with, it leaves zero streaks and dust in the corners of the display from towel fibers. Pick up one from the dollar store and reserve it for display cleaning! Also, simple glass automotive window cleaner in aerosol form works great in conjunction.

I've been using windex or generic glass cleaner and either paper towel or cotton cloth for about 20 years now. I have never had a screen get scratched when I am cleaning it.

Now if you drop it at the beach or have it in a shop next to a grider, sander, or sand blaster (all stupid ideas), then you might want to be a little bit more careful.

And those of you saying that breath and/or a damp cloth with get any screen clean... apparently you have not had to clean screens that have dried on food, drink, etc. on them.

No I just generally try to take better care of my stuff and not be a slob in front of it :D

No I haven't because it occurs to me that a monitor is not a table mat.

I keep my screens clean, the issue is the MBA has an insanely "shiney" screen with no anti-glare on it, so even looking at it the wrong way will make it smudge.

So if im reading this right, just a microfiber + light bit of water is the best / most recommended route.

I asked the question because the screen coating on the MBA is different than any LCD I have, or any of my laptops previously

I'm slightly more particular. I don't use water.

I prefer to use a microfiber cloth and optical cleaner. Anything that's designed to clean optics. Right now, I generally use Oakley's Cleaner that is supposed to be use for their various glasses and sunglasses. Although, I suppose if I wanted to take it a step further, I could use Giottos Cleaner which is designed to be used on Camera Lenses (I'm a photographer, I have the stuff handy).

Anyway, I think it's a pretty cheap investment. Oakley will refill the lens glass cleaner after purchase for life. If you have a store near you to abuse, it's definitely worth it. I've refilled mine probably around a dozen times over the years.

Interesting did not know that they would .... And my new pair of Oakleys are due in monday (I have 2 Oakley stores local to me), guess I know my next purchase...

I read a trick is to mix some iso alcohol 4:1 in with distilled water in a spray bottle, spray it onto a microfiber towel and you are all good.

Paper towels? paper scratches paint so it will scratch a plastic screen.

Distilled water and a micro fiber cloth

Ding ding ding. Amazing how many posts it takes to get a correct answer.

No, breath is a horrible idea. If you think that's pure air and water vapor you're exhaling, I invite you to breathe near a sick person. Plus, do you really want to be huffing and puffing air over your entire screen? Maybe to clean a smudge it would work in a pinch.

No, ordinary water will leave mineral streaks after it dries.

No, IPA, acetone, methanol etc could easily damage the screen coating.

No, ordinary cloth can scratch screens.

....... No, IPA, acetone, methanol etc could easily damage the screen coating.

Key word here is "COULD".... however there are multiple people here in this thread that have NEVER seen this happen and have been using window cleaner for YEARS.

normally a microfiber cloth (same used for glasses) and some alcohol or lens cleaner works great, no windex or ammonia based products

however since its apple im sure they require screen cleaner by beats or something, 80$ screen cleaning kit for the above items in a kit lol

So your worried about getting your screen sick?

I thought this was obvious, but my point was that condensed water from breath is not pure. When you exhale, tons of proteins and other organic molecules are present. Obviously your screen isn't clean or sterile to begin with, but I wouldn't pile nutrients on it on a regular basis.

The title asks for the best way, and that's with distilled water and microfiber cloth.

To the best of my knowledge, ANYTHING that is safe for anti-glare coated eyeglasses is safe for use on ANY other form of optical glass or plastic, because they are made of the same materials in the same manner.

I personally have seen laptop LCDs that had a visible fogginess (even when off) caused by cleaning with a cleaner originally made for CRT monitors. (Old school CRT's were just glass, you could use Windex or equivalent on those.) IIRC those notebooks shipped with a static-cling label on the screen that said do not use ammonia, alcohol, or solvent-based cleaners. It recommended a soft cloth and mild detergent in water. (mind you this was ca. 2001

There is a local optician in my area that sells roughly 12x12 inch microfiber towels for $1.00. I use these regularly. First step is always to wipe with the cloth DRY. That will clear any dust. If there is anything still bothering me, I use the little bottle of liquid eyeglass cleaner, spray a few squirts on the towel, and wipe again. I think the liquid is really just a dilute mixture of a gentle detergent and water. I Have used this stuff for years on both glass and regular LCD's (Not sure if there's a name for how LCD's used to be before Apple started creating their glossy displays with the edge-to-edge optical class layer)

Anyway, this is the method I have used for years on both a matte and a glossy MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Back