Best way to check overclock stability?

jmk396

Gawd
I'm going to try overclocking my new EVGA GTX 285 using their EVGA Precision tool but I'm not sure how to test for stability.

I've heard that you can use ATI Tray Tools and/or FurMark. However, I'd prefer to stay away from ATI Tray Tools since it installs custom drivers and requires test signing mode on my Vista x64.

Furmark, on the other hand, I've heard heats up video cards to the point of killing them. I'm assuming this only happens to cards with defective fans and such, but it doesn't sound like a good thing either way, heh.

So what's the best way to test for stability?

Also, how should I about the overclocking? (eg. overclock core increasing by 5% each time until limit is found, then do the same for shader clock, then memory clock?)

Thanks for any advice.

I just play the games I wanna play at the settings I wanna play'em at... if all works, I'm happy... I use atitool other than that.

5% until you hit the first limit then back off and go beyond by 1%. But really, ATI tool is a REALLY nice program. If you've got the capabilities, you might install it under XP and find the max OC then just use a different program to set that in Vista.

Thanks for the information.

I just tried using "Superclock" speeds (SSC):

Core: 675 MHz
Shader: 1548 MHz
Memory: 2538 MHz

...and then tried Crysis. It crashed ("Driver stopped responding...") within a few minutes.

Oh well. I guess I'm stuck at stock speeds which isn't really a horrible thing I guess.

Back