best way to backup quicken data from parents computer

mprover

Limp Gawd
My mothers incapable of remembering to backup her quicken data. After having an IBM hard drive fail, I would like to know if anyone has any good ideas for backing her computer up at night. I have a dedicated server (win2k box) and an external hard drive. I would like to know if anyone knows of a software package that will make an image of her computer and dump it to both sources. Any onther ideas would be greatly apreciated.

I use Quicken, although it is one of the older versions...Version 2000. It can be configured to ask for a backup under Edit/Options/Quicken Program. It can be set to do it each and every time she opens Quicken, but there is a glitch. My version won't backup over a network, or to a CD-R. You mother's might, though. If not, and your mother has only one hard drive, you are at square one if the drive fails. However, you can go on the Trader Forum, and pick up a small drive for only a few dollars, if your external won't work. Assuming the computer has space for one more drive, this is the best solution. I think your external will do fine, though. The other solution is to backup to a floppy, except that in time it will fill up. I didn't want to start over, so I backup to another hard drive that is resident on my machine, and then burn a CD-R from that backup on a fairly frequent basis. By the way, the backup steps inside the program are really, really easy, so your mother won't have any problem following what to do once you set it up for her.

If she has an older version than mine, it will work, too. My backup starts in November of 1997, and has been transfered from machine to machine as I upgraded both the computers, and the Quicken program itself. They would have started back in 1986, except I misplaced the MacSe floppy. Back then, Quicken would switch backups for a Mac to a PC with ease.

Back