best way/place to get help/support for WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 ?

T

troyquigley

i am trying to install windows server 2008 r2 and i am also learning hyper-v.
i am looking for help !

how can i get support for ALL the questions i have ?

microsoft.com ?
technet ?
a forum that is full of microsoft gurus ?
etc ?

does microsoft have an actual phone number that i can call and have my question answered ?

where/how am i most likely to get the help i need ?

Since your questions are probably going to be basic go ahead and post them here. The offical technet forums is also a very good place to goto. If you need phone/email support check here: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/12925 . There should be links for to do a PPI (pay per incident) ticket. Which I believe is what you must do I you are not an enterprise customer or technet subscriber. You are going to want to do this as a last resort.

That's an entirely different question that only you can answer. You don't need to subscribe to TechNet to join their forums.

i can post questions on technet and have them answered by microsoft engineers for free ?

Engineers, probably not. But there will be many MVPs and other community members that might have an answer to whatever you post. And yes the forum is free.

hmmm
i was under the impression i had to pay for technet to get answers to questions.

free. i like that.

so technet is just for the software licenses ?

www.experts-exchange.com if you want to pay but not alot.

technet is just a name, it has many things below it, you can sign up for technet and get things like software usage from it, but that is a different side of technet.

so technet is just for the software licenses ?
No, as mentioned, it has many options and features. Some are free, such as the various online resources, and some parts are subscriber only, such as the software licenses. Even some of the downloads are free, like hotfixes, service packs, etc.

I don't know why you through the Microsoft forums were fee-based, as you cold have checked on that in a matter of seconds. For example, I do have a TechNet subscription through work, and post on those forums as my work self, but I also have a free account for personal use, that I post home issues, such as Windows Home Server stuff, etc.

Back