Best Virtual PC software?

I've used both VMware and Virtual PC 2004. If you are just doing basic Virtual PC they are about the same. We didn't like Virtual PC as much, just not as many features in my opinion.

I love VMWare. Very customizable and overal it works quite well. I'd reccomend it in a heartbeat.

Virtual PC keeps the entire virtual machine in user space running in ring 3 security of x86 architecture. It should be impossible for the hosted VM to affect the host OS in any way.

Vmware ties in at the HAL level. It could theoretcially crash the host OS, although I haven't seen it happen. I haven't worked with the latest version of vmware, but older versions were hardware dependent as to moving the images around.

Virtual PC is slower because it is entirely in user space and doesn't multi-thread much, and an image is completely transportable between different hardware platforms.

Just depends on your needs. If you don't need sound support, download Virtual Server 2005 for free. Slightly more resource intensive as it runs as a background service all the time, but very similar to Virtual PC 2004 (images are transportable between the two), free, and mutli-threads better.

nessus said:
Virtual PC keeps the entire virtual machine in user space running in ring 3 security of x86 architecture. It should be impossible for the hosted VM to affect the host OS in any way.

Vmware ties in at the HAL level. It could theoretcially crash the host OS, although I haven't seen it happen. I haven't worked with the latest version of vmware, but older versions were hardware dependent as to moving the images around.

Virtual PC is slower because it is entirely in user space and doesn't multi-thread much, and an image is completely transportable between different hardware platforms.

Just depends on your needs. If you don't need sound support, download Virtual Server 2005 for free. Slightly more resource intensive as it runs as a background service all the time, but very similar to Virtual PC 2004 (images are transportable between the two), free, and mutli-threads better.

Your not exactly right on VMware.

First you ahve to say what VMware you are talking about, because VMware server is a linux based operating system, each VM is isolated from the VM Host completely, and in the case you have a CPU that supports virtualization the VM's can have direct access to CPU's taking the host OS overhead completely out of the equation.

VMware VM's are completely transferrable between hosts, there is no hardware dependancy.

VMware is much better than VPC, technology wise but neither support Direct X or OpenGL. Neither support 64 bit VM operating systems, they will both operate on 64 bit host's.

VM use is very limited at this stage

BBA said:
Your not exactly right on VMware.

Neither are you.

BBA said:
First you ahve to say what VMware you are talking about, because VMware server is a linux based operating system,

Somehow I can't believe you completely missed the fact that VMWare server also runs on Windows Operating systems as well.

BBA said:
Neither support 64 bit VM operating systems, they will both operate on 64 bit host's.

Vmware Workstation supports 64bit guest OSs

BBA said:
VM use is very limited at this stage

All according to what use you are trying to fulfill. I've already used Vmware's software to solve some otherwise tough situations for clients.

imzjustplayin said:
Is VMware better than Virtual PC 2004? Any other alternatives? Advantages? Etc...?

Depends on what you want to do with Virtual PCs depends on which product you'll want to use.

Give some more details about what you want to do, then we can make suggestions as to which product would better suit your "needs".

If you want something quick and easy to do other Windows OSes', go with Virtual PC. If you need Linux, or some more advanced features, VMWare is probably the way to go.

I'm a big fan of Parallels Workstation. It's fairly light-weight, and quite fast. Very cheap too, at $49.

Back