• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Video Encoding / Multi-tasking CPU?

sir_rob

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
135
I am about to build a system primarily for video encoding. It looks like Intel has a better offering in this category (quad core), and I am a little confused as to which CPU is the best bang for the buck. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am trying to keep the CPU cost below $300. $200 or less would be even better, but I want a CPU that I can live with for a while. I build and upgrade my own systems, but I rarely just update CPU's in older machines (if that has any impact on the platform that you would recommend).
 
you can pick up a Corei7 920 D0 stepping @ microcenter for 199.

and get yourself a decent X58 motherboard. it's all in your preference.
 
The i7 920's do look like a great option. I only wish that I had a microcenter in Portland (or Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake, and Phoenix for that matter).

The i5 750's seem to be readily available for around $200, but it looks like they are not quite as fast for video encoding. Is the difference noticeable?
 
The i7 860's look like they outperform the 920's even though they have a lower model number. Am I missing something?
 
The i5 750 + motherboard combination looks to be well over $100 cheaper than any i7 option (unless you have a Microcenter close by). Is there a $100+ difference in video encoding performance though?
 
The i7 860's look like they outperform the 920's even though they have a lower model number. Am I missing something?

The 860's do perform a bit better then the i7 920. The only bad thing about going the 1156 way is that theres no guaranteed upgrade path stated yet. If you choose to go with a 1366 motherboard it's much more future proof. Go with the i7 920 and OC it.
 
The 860's do perform a bit better then the i7 920. The only bad thing about going the 1156 way is that theres no guaranteed upgrade path stated yet. If you choose to go with a 1366 motherboard it's much more future proof. Go with the i7 920 and OC it.
Also... 1156 (i5, and i7 8XX) is dual-channel memory, where 1366 (i7 9XX) is tri-channel.
 
But that doesn't seem to be impacting performance that much while allowing for cheaper configurations. I guess the number of slots may also be impacted by that decision.
 
Thanks for the link. A few too many "tard" comments, but it was informative. I am steering towards 1366 purely for the extra RAM slots.

Now if only I could get a $200 920!!!!
 
Thanks for the link. A few too many "tard" comments, but it was informative. I am steering towards 1366 purely for the extra RAM slots.

Now if only I could get a $200 920!!!!

microcenter.

I have an 860, and the main reason I own it is for video encoding. It SCREAMS.

It would be a hard sell for me to consider anything else (except for a 920, MAYBE).

And I am not sure I would switch to a 920. I would consider it... But the 860 continues to impress me.

I can encode a movie to mp4 (in Handbrake) in about 15-25 min (depending on the size of the original, my settings, vid quality, etc...)

The 860 is a CHAMP at video encoding.

I would like to see a 920, with a similar setup (and same overclock) as mine encode the same file. It would be an interesting comparison.

For what it is worth, most of the reviews online show the 860 has a leg up on video encoding.
 
I only wish that I had a microcenter in Portland (or Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake, and Phoenix for that matter).

I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me! I may have to look during my next business trip. Otherwise the 860 and 920 are priced similarly (yes the 860 does outperform the 920 a little). The problem is that I would like to have the extra RAM slots from the 1366 platform (8 gig vs. 12 gig for practical usage). It is just hard for me to spend an extra $70 dollars because Microcenter will not ship.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top