• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best video card w/BF2

ATLMOBO

n00b
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
32
Hey,

What is the best video card with Battlefield 2? I currently use an Nvida 6600gt but have constant problems playing this game. I get green streaks across the screen and alot of ghosting.

Thnaks,

My equipment:
Asus Mobo with AMD 2800 CPU
Nvida 6600 GT
LG 19" Flat screen LCD
1 gig memory
250 gig hardrive
 
That isn't normal behavior. You dont need a new card because you have a 6600GT, you need to figure out if its bad or not or if its bad drivers or something. Does any other game do this, are you using the latest drivers, are you using a KVM, etc. The 6600GT should be perfectly fine in BF2.
 
sounds like you have two issues, I suspect that your current video card is overheating.....and as for your ghosting, chances are you are using a LCD flat screen with more than a 8ms response time in which case changing video cards would not resolve that
 
Try changing in your nview your display settings from quality to high quality. I heard somewhere that can remove the green streaks.
 
Ah, I didn't catch the LCD. As well, make sure your LCD is set to 60hz on the desktop and in-game (BF2 has all the refresh rates listed next to the resolutions. LCDs don't require higher refresh rates like monitors and should be at 60. Common mistake though you might already know this.
 
OldPueblo said:
LCDs don't require higher refresh rates like monitors and should be at 60. Common mistake though you might already know this.

If you want to have more than 60fps shown (as long as responce time is fast enough) you will need a higher refresh.
 
J-Mag said:
If you want to have more than 60fps shown (as long as responce time is fast enough) you will need a higher refresh.

Yep, however as far as I know some LCD screens start going funky if its above 60. Depends on what you have of course.
 
And LCDs in general... ghost a lot when gaming. One major reason many of us are still CRT people :)
 
theNoid said:
And LCDs in general... ghost a lot when gaming. One major reason many of us are still CRT people :)
you should sit in front of an 8ms or lower lcd and check it out. i'm still amazed.
 
J-Mag said:
If you want to have more than 60fps shown (as long as responce time is fast enough) you will need a higher refresh.

Only with vsync enabled.
 
Thanks for all the responses. I will check out my video settings before I go and buy newer card. As for the LCD monitor, it is a 12ms... I guess I need to be somewhere around 8ms..

Thanks
 
On an Acer AL1914, I get ZERO ghosting for anything i've played, or I have shitty eyes (possible) 8ms is bullshit, Anything 12 or lower should be fine. Anyway these 8ms and 4ms LCDs aren't truly 8 and 4 ms.

 
ATLMOBO said:
Thanks for all the responses. I will check out my video settings before I go and buy newer card. As for the LCD monitor, it is a 12ms... I guess I need to be somewhere around 8ms..

Thanks

yea, 12ms is FINE.

And you are only limited to 60fps @ 60hz if vsync is enabled.
 
dunno about 8ms I have a shuttle LCD it has a 16ms time but no ghosting in bf2 or any games at all. do try ur pc on a crt first to see about the greenies.
 
J-Mag said:
If you want to have more than 60fps shown (as long as responce time is fast enough) you will need a higher refresh.


Not true
 
theNoid said:
And LCDs in general... ghost a lot when gaming. One major reason many of us are still CRT people :)

CRT people suck (Inclueing me) We have these massive monitors and destorying our eyes while looking at them. We are just to lazy to get a job and buy a LCD :pj/k

Your wrong though... LCDs in general PWM CRT. If you watch games or movies or even the desktop...with 8ms or lower (3ms is amazing..though you don't notice it LOL) It will just as good and even better than CRT.

Crystal Clear Display.... Flat screen...and its just damn right sexy LCDs :eek:
I think everything has cleared up what the problem is....

But for the first question... Best Vid card for BF2 = 2x7800GTXs in SLi.... 1600x1200 all the eye candy... No prob :D
 
Why don't you get a job? Then you can compare the both and know what the hell you are talking about. ;) I'm just messing but I hate that response. We're not all jerkoffs trying to either rationalize our purchase or lack of funding. All current displays have weaknesses and strengths. You're an LCD !!!!!! and you don't even have one? That's interesting to say the least.
 
V99 said:
CRT people suck (Inclueing me) We have these massive monitors and destorying our eyes while looking at them. We are just to lazy to get a job and buy a LCD :pj/k

Your wrong though... LCDs in general PWM CRT. If you watch games or movies or even the desktop...with 8ms or lower (3ms is amazing..though you don't notice it LOL) It will just as good and even better than CRT.

Crystal Clear Display.... Flat screen...and its just damn right sexy LCDs :eek:
I think everything has cleared up what the problem is....

But for the first question... Best Vid card for BF2 = 2x7800GTXs in SLi.... 1600x1200 all the eye candy... No prob :D

As some one who is a gamer, and the large number of CRT and LCD displays I had access to as a former NEC/Mitsubishi employee, I have to disagree.

1. LCDs still can't produce a good black.
2. Their gamut range is still lacking CRT displays unless you buy high-end LCD designed for graphics work, but these lack any decent response times.
3. Most of these low response time monitors use PVA panels, rather than the superior IPS type.
4. Viewing angles are still crappy.
5. Ghosting is still very much a problem. Unlike a refresh rate, the response time is not a constant.

6. There is a lack of control over how manufacturers get to determine response times, so a panel may labeled as 8ms, but when put through the paces it spends more time closer to the 16-20ms range. They may even have these response times as the gray-to-gray rather than the black-white-black normally used; Viewsonic has been one of the few vendors I've seen that post response times for both types of measurement.

I've used both CRTs and LCDs for 10 years now. CRT displays don't hurt my eyes, because I actually take the time to configure mine properly. While LCDs are getting better, they still can't match a good CRT for gaming.
 
Back
Top