Best video card under $50

paco

Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
952
I need to pick up a AGP video card for a guy who's maximum budget is $50. It's for a very low end machine that does mainly word processing and internet surfing.

What are your suggestions? Under $40 may be even better.
 
Go to ebay to find good deals on used video cards.

However, don't use eBay to find deals on high-end video cards - not worth it.
 
LordBritish said:
Go to ebay to find good deals on used video cards.

However, don't use eBay to find deals on high-end video cards - not worth it.

They guy wants a warranty with his card so used is out. I'll check out that 9200se. That should be great for his what he needs.

How much worse are the SE's that the normal 9200's?
 
Something I forgot. Will a video card with DDR memory work with a machine that only takes PC100 or PC133?
 
paco said:
Something I forgot. Will a video card with DDR memory work with a machine that only takes PC100 or PC133?

graphics card memory and system memory have nothing to do with each other (in regards to compatibility)
 
yes the ram on the gfx card doesn't have anything to do with the northbridge compatibility with only certain types of ram because the gpu/gfx card has its own ram handler onboard
 
Steel Chicken said:
graphics card memory and system memory have nothing to do with each other (in regards to compatibility)

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure though. Someday I'll get the rest of this noobie out of me. :D
 
paco said:
That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure though. Someday I'll get the rest of this noobie out of me. :D

dont sweat it, ive been messing with puters for 20+ years and I still feel like a n00b
 
Buy a Voodoo 5500
That thing still plays Doom 3!!!! ;)

*little nod to another thread oh...somewhere here* :)
 
Steel Chicken said:
dont sweat it, ive been messing with puters for 20+ years and I still feel like a n00b

Good, I've only been at it for about 5. Not bad for someone with no training whatsoever. All self taught! (well, for the most part.)
 
V0ltage said:
try and find a used or refurb ti4200.

Heck, if I can find one of those, I'll just give the guy my mx440 and keep the 4200 myself!
 
How about this GF4 MX440 IMO Nvidia has the better drivers. Then there is this XGI Volari that is in your price range :D I didnt know Newegg even carried XGI stuff... Seriously, IMO the MX440 is your best bet...
 
find a ti4200 used... they sell for around $50

"Best videocard under $50" is an oxymoron.

All Videocards under $50 SUCK! :(
 
i have 2 cards for sale my self a radeon 9000 64MB and 9600SE 128MB
im looking for ~$25-$30us for the 9000 and $40-$50us for the 9600SE
the 9000 is a 2x/4x part and the 9600SE is 4x/8x part
both have DDR mem pm me and ill give you my aim
or stop buy irc.irchighway.com #animelegends same nick Elios
 
Elios said:
i have 2 cards for sale my self a radeon 9000 64MB and 9600SE 128MB
im looking for ~$25-$30us for the 9000 and $40-$50us for the 9600SE
the 9000 is a 2x/4x part and the 9600SE is 4x/8x part
both have DDR mem pm me and ill give you my aim
or stop buy irc.irchighway.com #animelegends same nick Elios

Thanks for the offer, but the guy really wants something with a warranty and the customer is always right (*cough* bullshit *cough*).
 
Why does your buddy care about a warrantee on a $40 video card ?

If it's DOA then get your money back.

If it breaks later, well - it's only $40

I just purchased a 6800 Ultra for $590 - I would want a warrantee on something that expensive but $40 ? c'mon !!
 
most sub $100 cards only have a 90day warrante any way and you can still get suport from ATi
 
Don't sweat it for $40 or less.

If you can find a preowned Ti4200 or Ti4600 for $40 or less, jump on it.
 
LordBritish said:
Don't sweat it for $40 or less.

If you can find a preowned Ti4200 or Ti4600 for $40 or less, jump on it.

heh Lord nothing wrong with a pre-owned 9x00 card :p
 
the 9600 should do the trick. But for under 50 dollars it doesnt matter at this point. The client will not notice any difference at all just using the computer for general office work.
 
oh yea ment to ask what AGP speed his mobo use thats going to restrict your choices
 
The client is an older gentlemen who fully admits he knows nothing about computers. But he said that he does feel more comfortable getting something with a warranty and is willing to pay a little more for one with it.

I'm going to order one of those mx440's off of NewEgg. This should do him just fine and is already going to be 3 times as good as what he has in there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
 
Back
Top