Best Video Card for a 400 Watt Power Supply + 1680 Res?

zoom99

Weaksauce
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me... I have a prebuilt gateway (model FX4710) with a 400 watt power supply (probably not that great, but I will check after I power it off). I'm still using the stock 9800 GT card, but I think I want more juice for the new games I got for Christmas (Dragon Age and Batman).

I game at 1680x1050 and I also use it to play movies/watch tv on my TV. I am thinking about getting an ATI card since I probably won't have room in my small case for SLI or using the 9800 GT as a physx.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction. There are many, many, mid-ranged cards that I can't decide on... 260? 4890? 5770? My price range is pretty high, but I'm probably not going to spring for anything higher than a 5850 (at MAX). I kinda need a new car too...

You should be able to run a 5770 with no problem. I wouldn't try a 4890 or GTX if I were you though as you would be pushing it.

It's crappy quality and only a single rail with 17A. I wouldn't do it. Your 9800gt is pushing it.. wouldn't have done that either. :\ Maybe Gateway crippled it so it wouldn't pull so much.

Get a new power supply first those factory ones arent even up to powering the system stock, i speak from having my moms similar specd gateway fx burnout after 8 months, with only an 8500gt

Yeah, I'd get a new PSU. 17a is really pushing it. You could get a 5770 for a nice boost in performance while maintaining the same power consumption under load as the 9800GT.

Not all gateways fx are running crap psus. One model that I have opened up was running a Delta 750w PSU.

But if there is only 17 amps on the 12v, upgrade ASAP.

No worries, just buy a replacement powersupply along with your upgrade. I see no reason you can't replace the old one, it should be ATX form-factor.

Here's an easy suggestion - fairly cheap, efficient, and highly-rated. This would double your 12v rail capacity to 34A.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007&Tpk=earthwatts 500w
+1 That's the cheapest good quality supply I could find right now too. Prices do fluctuate though so if you wait too long you'll have to check again.

+3... I build a system for my cousin with that PSU (came with the Sonata III case) and it's been powering an i7 920, 4890, 6GB RAM, 2 HDD, 2 DVDRW.

It's crappy quality and only a single rail with 17A. I wouldn't do it. Your 9800gt is pushing it.. wouldn't have done that either. :\ Maybe Gateway crippled it so it wouldn't pull so much.
where does it say the specs for his psu? I doubt very seriously that it only has one 17amp 12v rail. this level of Gateway usually uses at least a dual rail psu.

Okay, the PSU is a Delta, Model: DPS-400 RB A (Rev: 01 F). It says Output: +12V1 /16A (Max), +12V2 /16A (Max).

I only have one hard drive and the CPU (9300) is on stock settings and I only have one fan for the case..

Does a 5770 use the same amount of power as a 9800GT? I really need suggestions on the card guys, more than the PSU. I am also not going to wait until fernie. As an Xmas present, I am being offered 40% off by my relatives to upgrade TODAY.

Okay, the PSU is a Delta, Model: DPS-400 RB A (Rev: 01 F). It says Output: +12V1 /16A (Max), +12V2 /16A (Max).

I only have one hard drive and the CPU (9300) is on stock settings and I only have one fan for the case..

Does a 5770 use the same amount of power as a 9800GT? I really need suggestions on the card guys, more than the PSU. I am also not going to wait until fernie. As an Xmas present, I am being offered 40% off by my relatives to upgrade TODAY.
2 rails just as I thought and that psu is plenty if you want a 5770 with your basic system. hell the 5770 draws LESS power your current 9800gt.

That PSU is fine for a 5770. The 5770 has a TDP of 108W. I believe the 9800GT non-eco has a TDP of 105W (Eco runs 65W TDP I think). In practice the 5770 will probably draw less power and run cooler than the non-Eco 9800GT.

Under load the 5770 draws about the same power, at idle the 5770 draws a lot less.

http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/page11.html

That says that the 9800GT goes lower under load. I hate conflicting reviews. >_>

5770 sounds like a great solution. My 9300 quad won't hold me back too much will it?
well the 9800gt that xbit used was likely a 65nm version and the one in that review could have been 55nm. that could explain at least part of it. the other thing is that the load test they were using was different from each site. in other words some tests or games might stress a 5770 more than a 9800gt if that makes sense.

Get the shroud/squirrel cage one. It doesn't mess with your case's natural airflow, exhausting hot air right out the back instead -- something you'll want with that Gateway.

Back