best verizon DSL modem

moose517

Gawd
hi guys, i would like your opinion on what the best modem is for Verizon DSL. the westell 327w that they gave me seems to be dieing. I will be surfing the internet fine and then all the sudden its way worse than dial up. I was wondering more specifically if the cisco 857w would work or do i need something that verizon themselves provides and just bridge to my own router?

You can use a third party dsl modem with verizon but it can be a pain in the ass because the lower level support is not going to know what settings you need to use.

I had a client who's law office got hit by lightning that lost their dsl modem. Verizon said it would take a few days to get a new one in. At this time they didn't really have the dsl self install kits in the stores yet. I ended up finding a zoom dsl modem/router in town. Took me a little while but I was able to make it work. Verizon was worthless on answering some questions on what channel and some other stuff it asked for. Lucky most of the defaults worked although I did have to change something. Can't remember what it was though. Anyway that modem has been running now for like 2 years without issue.

Really your best bet is going to be to have verizon give you another modem. Just bridge it to your router if you don't want to use the built in stuff.

LOL @ Verizon Westel modems. They suck. Mine started to give me problems so I called them up and asked them for the Actiontec Modem with built in WI-FI instead of just a replacement Westel (because I thought my soho wifi router was failing but it was realy the wireless adapter). They said no, so I told them "You give them away to brand new customers for new accounts but won't give one to someone who has been a subscriber for 6 years?" They said they can't, so then I said "OK how much would it cost for me to buy one?" and she said "OK I'll send you one at no charge." ...

an actiontec modem eh, i might have to look into one. I'm not sure still if its on the WAN side or LAN side that i'm having the problems but i figure if i get another modem and swap them out if the problem still occurs i think its verizon side.

Man those actiontek routers suck balls as well.

Best advice is to bridge whatever they send and let something else do most of the work.

so i should just bridge and use my cisco 2651 to do the routing? While i have you guys i have had a problem lately other than that. When i connect the modem to my DGS-2208 and then run a cable to the cisco switches everything is fine, however if i connect the modem to the cisco switch and then to the dlink nothing in the network can get around, i don't know what i might be missing on the cisco switch that is keeping stuff from being transmitted.

Back