Best Value Used Hardware?

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, all.

I have a buddy who spent four of the last five years caring for a spouse who ultimately lost a battle with cancer. He is trying to get back to work and back to some semblance of a so-called regular life. Years ago, he was a fairly avid gamer, but at this point in time he no hardware and no funds to build a gaming PC.

I want to build him a gaming PC but I don't have the funds to buy everything new. I do have a nice Antec case, GTX 260 video card, and 4GB of RAM (DDR2) that I'm going to incorporate into the PC. My question the forum: what motherboard and CPU would offer the most bang for the buck on the used market as of right now? I looked through the For Sale forum here and determined it would be easier to search for specific components.

I'm going to continue to research but thought I would give a shout out for input from the community.

Thanks!
E

IMHO Q6600 is pretty cheap, but still performs well paired with GTX260.

get an i3 with mATX H61 board and 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 RAM and you have new and great PC for gaming in cost less than $150(PSU and HDD get used)

A GTX 260 is what I still have and there is no game I can not play... of course, I only play Single Player Campaigns. I have had this system for about 2 or 3 yrs now and I gotta tell, it is extremely stable with the components I have... look at my signature if that helps you with choosing.

Being said that, some of the new DDR3 stuff is cheaper than old DDR2 but if you go Used, you may find some good bargains.

I'd have to say a Q6600 GO stepping. I have one overclocked to 3.3ghz with an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard. I can play BF3 with my GTX 275 OC on High settings @ 1080p.

As far as mobo here are some good options:
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Abit IP35 Pro
Gigabyte P45-DS3L(I think it uses DDR2 not sure)

Really any P35 board will be your best bet for overclocking. Or you could try and get a AMD Phantom X4 equivilant to an overclocked Q6600

I also like the mATX idea with an i3.

Back