• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Best value 750 watt PSU?

MrKlingon

n00b
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
29
I have a system with 2x 7850s and I want a new PSU for them. This is a new build. In my current build I have a SeaSonic 750W that I got for in a deal a few months back for around 100 bucks, checked Newegg today and it's sitting pretty at 160. I'm looking for something in the $80 range or less that is decent. Any suggestions?
 
Oh, I have to add that quietness is of top importance as well. I hear the Corsair supplies can be pretty loud.
 
Seasonic X-750 whenever it goes on sale for ~$120. The AX750 is Corsair's equivalent, and uses the X-750 platform, so if you can get it for a similar price, it's the same thing.
 
Rosewill HIVE 750W is $89.99.

No, you don't want this. Known for loud fans and noisy chokes. Also made by Sirfa, which is a Mediocre OEM at best. Listen to Tsumi. The AX and X-series are great PSUs. The Antec High Current Pro 750 and Kingwin Lazer Platinum 750 would also be solid choices.
 
Just wanna update this for those that might be in the same boat I was...

While shopping I came across a semi-modular Cougar 1000W PSU, it was bronze certified and seemed to be decently reviewed and I gave it a try because it was only $100 on Newegg with no rebate (it's 130 now). Apparently it's some premium brand from HEC GROUP and overall should be a pretty decent PSU.

It is extremely quiet and it is currently running a 660 Ti and a 3570K just fine. It supposedly has a 3 year warranty on it so we'll see how that goes. I think it's a pretty nice PSU though. A 1000W modular PSU for 100 bucks simply cannot be beat if it is in fact decent. Would be an interesting review. So far we are very pleased with it.
 
Also, do you realize you're running a ~200W system?... you're not getting your money's worth out of that PSU (or any other 1KW unit on the market)... get a nice 300-400W unit, at the loads you're using it the CMX 1000 is returning 70-75% efficiency (at best).
 
Last edited:
HEC in general has real problems with ripple. The Cougar line is no exception. At full load, they all fall out of spec. However, with how under loaded that thing is, you'll likely be fine. Your Seasonic 750 was a better supply though.
 
The S/SE/SX and GX lines from Cougar are good, apart from the GX 1050 which has very nosy minor rails at full load (but that's not really an issue).
 
Yeah the reviews are certainly mixed on somewhat similar PSUs linking origins back to HEC group, but their premium units seem to be decent. I bought this based on a review on an older Cougar CM 1000 which got a pretty good score. Most of the issues predated that and seem to have been fixed.

Obviously the system is not drawing 1KW at the wall, thanks for the 300-400W suggestion but that's just dumb. You might wanna assume that there is going to be some SLi in the future or else I wouldn't be asking about a 750W+ in the first place. For 100 bucks on a modular KW design I am definitely getting my money's worth if it is even half decent. No shit the SeaSonic is superior but it's also much more expensive. My SeaSonic is still in my system, the Cougar is in a new build if that wasn't readily apparent... for some reason.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/cougar_1000cm_1000w_psu_revisited/1

For now though I'm cool with playing the guinea pig. I'll be sure to update if it blows up but all in all this looks like pretty decent wattage per dollar.
 
Back
Top