best used video card for $100

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
What would be the best bang for the buck video card to grab off craigslist/ebay/forums right now? It's going to be coupled with a phenom x2 555 BE (3 cores unlocked, running at stock clocks) and 2gb of value RAM. I just saw a 9800GTX for $80 on CL.

Well you can get gtx260's now for less than $100. 4890 is the way to go though as it's comparable to gtx280.

New Egg open box quite often has 5770's around the $110 mark. Keep an eye out here, they are sometimes in the for sale section for around the same price!

The HD4890 is probably worth about 70 or 80 bucks now but it remains a fantastic DX9 performer, I used it right through the 5xxx series and never really felt deprived of an adequate gaming experience.

The HD4890 is probably worth about 70 or 80 bucks now but it remains a fantastic DX9 performer, I used it right through the 5xxx series and never really felt deprived of an adequate gaming experience.

Well they still go for $100+ regularly, and as others have said, considering they're as fast as a 280, that's a pretty good deal. I paid $220 each for mine at launch and they're still going strong.

Also, they're excellent DX10 cards, not just DX9.

Last edited:
How does a 5770 for $100 stack up? I wish someone would have responded to this thread yesterday, I dragged my girlfriend around the mall (best buy and some other store) looking at video cards/comparing prices/benchmarks for like 2 hours lol.

P.S. Yes, I am aware that best buy/the mall is not a good place to go looking for video cards. The sales person at BB was trying to push me a 9500GT for $90 "on sale".

How does a 5770 for $100 stack up? I wish someone would have responded to this thread yesterday, I dragged my girlfriend around the mall (best buy and some other store) looking at video cards/comparing prices/benchmarks for like 2 hours lol.

P.S. Yes, I am aware that best buy/the mall is not a good place to go looking for video cards. The sales person at BB was trying to push me a 9500GT for $90 "on sale".

Slower than a 4890 in most DX9 / DX10 situations, but more or less comparable, and you get DX11 capability. Unfortunately it's not really fast enough to turn on all the fancy DX11 stuff and make good use of it without dropping resolution in many cases, so that's of dubious value. It's lower wattage, but a single 4890 is not exactly a power hog, even by modern standards, unless you start OCing it much. Then things change quick.

It's all about trade-offs between the two. Clearly I'm a bit biased and haven't been wooed by DX11 enough to give up my current setup yet. ;)

Also, a 4890 is about as fast as a GTX 280, so buying a GTX 260 for a similar price wouldn't make much sense to me.

I saw a 260 on CL for 60 bucks today.. That would be the best bang for buck..

Edit: I know your asking for used under 100, but you might try stretching a bit & buying new.. There has recently been 2 deals on GTX465's new for less then 150..

Last edited:
I'd probably go with a 4890 over a 5770 if you just want pure performance. 5770 is nice though for being quiet(imo), lower power, and dx11(I game on a pretty small monitor so it might be useful for me, but if you game at a high resolution it'll prolly be pointless).

That must have been the "get rid of this POS item of the day, and you'll get some extra pennies" for the BB staff.

I only go to Fry's sparingly, Micro Center or Newegg are my main choices.

If you can find a used HD 4890 for under $100, that's a great deal. Used GTX 260 cards seem to be more available at that price though.

I think there's been some GTX 460 768mb floating around at that price if you're patient.

While you CAN find 4890s and 260s for $100, its no easy task. 4870s are closer to that price and people with 260s are holding on to their cards. There WAS a killer deal back on geeks.com for the BFG blowout. I thought there would be a ton of 260s on the market but its pretty dry.

I know that I held on to my 4870 for a while. Im going to put it up for sale here in a few days after I order my 6950. I will probably put it up for like $70 or less.

Guess times have changed with the new cards out. Great deal on that card for whoever grabs it.

Id say the 4890 due to the increases in efficiency over the 4870. Also if you happen to get 2 of these, they can still compete with some of the big dogs!

Back