Best USB DAC / Amp under $300?

qdemn7

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it. I’m re-ripping all 400 of my CDs to FLAC with dBPoweramp, and foobar2000 v1.2.4 to play. That will be about 200GB on their own separate drive.

Current headphones are Sennheiser 570, but of course they do not play loudly enough without distortion. I really like the over-the-ear design of the Sennheisers, so, I’m planning on buying a pair of Sennheiser 650s.

In order of tastes, I like to listen to New Age, Film Music, Pop, Dance, Electronica, Classical, Rock (very little Metal), Country, Bluegrass, and R&B. I do not listen to Rap or Opera.

I see a lot of choices discussed here are elsewhere. But it seems like many of the units are USB powered, and I want to know if such a unit will have enough power to drive the 650s properly.

A tube based unit would be acceptable.

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:
400 CDs in FLAC will be about 200 GB total (a little less unless they're all 74 minutes long).

Schiit Audio's Magni/Modi will run you $200. The DAC is USB powered, but the amplifiers are not so no worries about available power.

I'd take a serious look at the HiFi Man HE-400s before I bought the HD-650s. I love the HD-650s but they are not something I could live with as an only-headphone. If you go with the HE-400s I'd encourage spending the $100 you save over the Sennheisers on Schiit's Asgard 2 instead of the Magni (the dynamics are worth it) ... though it is a much larger device than the Magni and won't physically stack with the Modi.

400 CDs in FLAC will be about 200 GB total (a little less unless they're all 74 minutes long).

Schiit Audio's Magni/Modi will run you $200. The DAC is USB powered, but the amplifiers are not so no worries about available power.

I'd take a serious look at the HiFi Man HE-400s before I bought the HD-650s. I love the HD-650s but they are not something I could live with as an only-headphone. If you go with the HE-400s I'd encourage spending the $100 you save over the Sennheisers on Schiit's Asgard 2 instead of the Magni (the dynamics are worth it) ... though it is a much larger device than the Magni and won't physically stack with the Modi.
Duh, can't believe I made that error on size of files. Edited my post, thanks.

Thanks, for the recommendations.

Schiit Magni/Modi without question. I own an Asgard and it sounds exactly the same as a Magni so don't waste your money unless you need the extra outputs. The Bifrost is a great DAC but has a very annoying "clicking" sound between it syncing up that I hated enough to return it.

Some people will probably recommend the O2/ODAC but I think in terms of looks (the O2/ODAC is fugly) and transparency the Schiit Magni/Modi combo is nearly unbeatable at $200 (which makes it cheaper than the O2/ODAC) and its as simple as that. If you want a better amp you would need to head for the Lyr or Woo otherwise I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference. Planar magnetic headphones need serious juice (the HE-400's) to shine , even though the HE-400's are far more efficient than there more expensive cousins they still love power. The Magni provides 1.2 Watts which is more than enough to power virtually anything on the market.

I own both the HE-400's and the HD650's and truly they are different sounding cans. Some people hate the highly "treble" happy nature of the HE-400's but love its lush detail and beautifully huge soundstage. The HD650 is truly the best value in headphones , its a real beast that doesn't require you to hit 4 figures to afford it yet it sounds like a 4 figure can no question. If you like LOTS of detail but prefer a smoother rolling off of the higher frequencies and love a light weight can (the HE-400 is much heavier than the HD650 which some people hate) then the HD650's are easily a great buy. The HE-400's require you to buy the velour ear pads and a cushioned head band pad to maximize comfort otherwise your ears might sweat from the pleather and the thin stock head band might make your head a bit sore over long term usage.

Its a really tough choice between the two , it comes down to personal taste. I would highly recommend you audition both before you buy but if you can't shop Amazon so you can return which ever one you don't want. From my own personal experience (which will vary from yours) the HE-400's offer more detail and better more natural bass and I can pick out individual instruments much easier than with the HD650's.

Last edited:
I own both the HE-400's and the HD650's and truly they are different sounding cans. Some people hate the highly "treble" happy nature of the HE-400's but love its lush detail and beautifully huge soundstage. The HD650 is truly the best value in headphones , its a real beast that doesn't require you to hit 4 figures to afford it yet it sounds like a 4 figure can no question. If you like LOTS of detail but prefer a smoother rolling off of the higher frequencies and love a light weight can (the HE-400 is much heavier than the HD650 which some people hate) then the HD650's are easily a great buy. The HE-400's require you to buy the velour ear pads and a cushioned head band pad to maximize comfort otherwise your ears might sweat from the pleather and the thin stock head band might make your head a bit sore over long term usage.

Its a really tough choice between the two , it comes down to personal taste. I would highly recommend you audition both before you buy but if you can't shop Amazon so you can return which ever one you don't want. From my own personal experience (which will vary from yours) the HE-400's offer more detail and better more natural bass and I can pick out individual instruments much easier than with the HD650's.

Thanks, all of that is very valuable information. Especially the info about the Schiits.

Weight would not be a problem for me on the cans, as to they will only be worn at home. As far as the HE-400s, do the pads rest directly on your ears, or fit over them like the Sennheisers?

Thanks, all of that is very valuable information. Especially the info about the Schiits.

Weight would not be a problem for me on the cans, as to they will only be worn at home. As far as the HE-400s, do the pads rest directly on your ears, or fit over them like the Sennheisers?

Glad to help.

The pads surround your ears (unless you have freakishly large ears) and the pleather is comfortable its just that it traps heat big time so I HIGHLY recommend velour since it doesn't make your ears all sweaty after a long session. Very easy to install them as well , takes like 10 seconds max for each pad. And they are dirt cheap at $10 a pair.

I recommend this head band cushion for the HE-400's : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snaps on in about 20 seconds , provides a very nice extra cushion for long term sessions. It made a world of difference for me. Head to www.headphone.com for the HE-400 velour pads , HiFiMAN has been shipping the cheap version with a horribly plastic backing (instead of the stock , strong plastic molded backing) but headphone.com has the stock velour pads that aren't overstuffed and are worth the extra few bucks they charge.

Also some advice , ignore all the bullshit re-cabling nonsense the audiophile industry loves to peddle , its complete nonsense to spend the same amount of money on new cables as the cost of the headphones themselves. The cables the HE-400's come with are perfectly fine.

Hope you enjoy the results :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also some advice , ignore all the bullshit re-cabling nonsense the audiophile industry loves to peddle , its complete nonsense to spend the same amount of money on new cables as the cost of the headphones themselves. The cables the HE-400's come with are perfectly fine.

pffft. clearly this $1400 cable is a good buy for $500 headphones.

OP - i don't have experience with the HE-400's or any other amplifier, all i can say is that i'm very happy with my HD650's and O2. if i were buying today i'd look seriously into the Modi/Magni combo. they're just so affordable and great looking, and apparently great sounding.

pffft. clearly this $1400 cable is a good buy for $500 headphones.

OP - i don't have experience with the HE-400's or any other amplifier, all i can say is that i'm very happy with my HD650's and O2. if i were buying today i'd look seriously into the Modi/Magni combo. they're just so affordable and great looking, and apparently great sounding.

Lol. I just see so many people recommend re-cabling on Headfi and it just makes me /facepalm big time.

I use to spend ages on that forum now I can't stand to read another "burn in" or "re-cabling" thread.

Hey you have to let your re-cable burn in...

Actually, if the headphone is rewired. Not just a new cable but the internal wiring changed, maybe a diode board removed. The result of that can be pretty neat. I had a Ultrasone 780 modded like that and it had some amazing sound compared to the stock. Same with some rewired akg 340s. Larry at Headphile did those and boy did they sound good. Still, the vast majority of that stuff is a waste.

I suggest either the Audioquest Dragonfly or the Meridian Explorer. Easier to transport if you wanted, and better pieces of gear IMHO.

That or just about anything Audio GD. I have the NFB-5 and by no means is its NEARLY as portable, but its a VERY nice piece of gear.

Checkout head-fi.org to find lots of used gear at good prices.

Back