Best upgrade from Z390?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Current motherboard is my MSI Z390 with i7 9700k CPU

Looking to upgrade this Fall. Should it be the upcoming Intel 13000 series and Z790 or AMD Zen 5 X670 chipset?

Current motherboard is my MSI Z390 with i7 9700k CPU

Looking to upgrade this Fall. Should it be the upcoming Intel 13000 series and Z790 or AMD Zen 5 X670 chipset?
You have to factor in the cost of all-new DDR5 system RAM into the total cost of your upgrade. If it remains significantly higher than DDR4 RAM (remember, both Intel and AMD are officially making all of their new motherboard chipsets DDR5-only), then this may force you to downgrade your new CPU just to keep the cost within your range.

Good point.

So if doing one or the other, which is a better upgrade?

- New CPU, new motherboard, and DDR5. Keeping my current RTX-3080.

- New RTX-4080 video card, and keeping my current i7 9700k setup.

Being in much the same situation, I would go with the first option. Option two will most likely cost a wee bit more than 1. If cost is no option than balls to the wall, upgrade everything! Altho waiting a while may be wise.

After seeing what ngreedia has said about their release schedule for ada. Pricing will likely continue to be retarded for at least the first 6-12 months for the top end ada cards if they want to move whats left of their AIBs excess stock.
I just picked up a 6800xt for that reason and after waiting 2+ years for an affordable card, I had grown absolutely sick of waiting and couldn't pass it and the waterblock up for less than $750 :D
I doubt that will happen with anything rdna3 or ada for years.

I'm pretty sure the raptor lake CPUs will run in z690 mbs if you don't want to spend 3 bills on a new set of ddr5 6000+ and love your ddr4. Personally I would go all in if your upgrading your system to RL or AM5. There's really no point in sticking with ddr4 at this juncture.

Either way enjoy the new build when you get there!

You have to factor in the cost of all-new DDR5 system RAM into the total cost of your upgrade. If it remains significantly higher than DDR4 RAM (remember, both Intel and AMD are officially making all of their new motherboard chipsets DDR5-only), then this may force you to downgrade your new CPU just to keep the cost within your range.

Nope, intel will still support DDR4 on the new platform, seen Asrock and MSI Z790 mobo's with DDR4 support and also the CPU's would still work on existing Z690 DDR4 motherboards.

Back