best upconverting DVD player <100 bucks?

Imitation

2[H]4U
Hey guys I'm looking to get a LCD HDTV later this week, most likely a 37" sharp because that's as big as my cabinet will hold right now. We've got an older DVD player that doesn't do up conversion, so I'm looking to get a new one. What models would you guys recommend as the best for <100 bucks?

Also I've got a xbox360, does it upconvert DVD's? If so, then is it even worth bothering to get the stand alone player? Thanks

I would suggest the sony DVP-NS75H. I had the samsung DVD-1080P7 before and it seems like it had massive twinkling effect so I returned it. Sony looked a 100 times better, it was like night and day between the two.

I forget exactly which magazine I read it in but Phillips had a single tray unit for about 80 bucks that won out that magazine's side by side tests. Sorry I can't remember the exact model numbers. I think it was consumer reports.

Best Buy just had Sony's 5 DVD upconverting one on sale for 129. I was too busy to get down there to pick it up. I was surprised to even see a 5 disc unit out so fast because when CD's came out it took years for one to come out, much less that reasonably priced. I paid about twice that for my sony 5 disc non upconverting unit just two years ago so even the hundred dollar price drop seems very substanial right now.

But I think it is due to what is closely on its heels. There is HD and Blu- Ray. Also on this fiasco don't let people fool you into the straw man argument about it being like VHS and Beta. It's not even close.

Beta and VHS could not fit in each others machines, the HD DVDs do and the same blue diode at the same exact wavelength reads them as best I know. So really it is like AC-3 and the other music standard that is on DVD's now.... all DVD units now play both and no one bothers to argue which method will win because they both won out in the long run. Eventually there will be DVD players that play both. It's just a matter of time.

The article I read said to wait until a unit is out that will play both standards. From what I have seen on my netflix selection there is not much a selection right now anyway and I am not the type to rewatch movies again and again.

[QUOTE
Also I've got a xbox360, does it upconvert DVD's? If so, then is it even worth bothering to get the stand alone player? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The 360 will upconvert up to 1080p so long as you are using a VGA or an HDMI cable for the Elite versions. Last time I checked most Sharp TV's have a VGA input and work well with 360's.

Back