Best Unmanaged PoE Switch?

Jon55

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a 24 or 48 port unmanaged PoE switch (for phones, max power they use is 6.1 watts). 100 only (no need for gigabit). Budget? $500 give or take. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I haven't used them, but the Tough Switch from Ubiquity gets a lot of attention. It's not as "enterprise" as Cisco or HP, most likely, but they do have 16-port models and their pricing is usually substantially less than their competition.

Are you looking for new? There were some Nortel (I think) 48-port units that could be had fairly cheaply on the secondary market.

10/100 or Gigabit? Full power on all 16/24 ports?

Budget?

Also look at POE mid spans.. can be a lot cheaper then a POE switch.. and then you can still use a higher quality switch with it if needed.

Also look at POE mid spans.. can be a lot cheaper then a POE switch.. and then you can still use a higher quality switch with it if needed.

Is there any notable downside to using midspans?

They aren't smart, so plugging the wrong device into it might cause issues. I use them with a client, where they have unifi AP's (24v) and cams/phones that are standard poe (48v), so I made sure to label them in big letters.

Ah, good to know. Well the company we bought these Mitel phones from gave us injectors just in case (specifically for the phones we bought), which I am considering using instead of a PoE switch. Would you happen to know of any downsides with injectors?

Would you happen to know of any downsides with injectors?

Space and outlets usage.

A PoE switch makes it much easier and cleaner to power many PoE devices.

New or used preferred?

Also I need to again ask if you need power on all ports. Some budget switches will only have power on the first 10 ports, some will only power up to 280watts, etc. So if you tell us exactly how many PoE ports that you want we can find the appropriate switch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156051
http://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=ES-24-250W
Used Cisco WS-C3750-24PS-S from eBay.

Last edited:
Space and outlets usage.

A PoE switch makes it much easier and cleaner to power many PoE devices.

New or used preferred?

Also I need to again ask if you need power on all ports. Some budget switches will only have power on the first 10 ports, some will only power up to 280watts, etc. So if you tell us exactly how many PoE ports that you want we can find the appropriate switch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156051
http://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=ES-24-250W
Used Cisco WS-C3750-24PS-S from eBay.

New would be very nice. Again, just 10/100 (no gigabit needed), and yes power on all ports. Unmanaged as well, since the company providing our phones is handling all the backend stuff. We currently only have 14 phones but may be expanding to 30 in a year or so. The injectors would be hidden behind desks and never moved/unplugged, so I'm not too worried about clutter on that end.

New would be very nice. Again, just 10/100 (no gigabit needed), and yes power on all ports. Unmanaged as well, since the company providing our phones is handling all the backend stuff. We currently only have 14 phones but may be expanding to 30 in a year or so. The injectors would be hidden behind desks and never moved/unplugged, so I'm not too worried about clutter on that end.

Don't limit yourself just because a cheap switch has gigabit or is managed.

Each of the examples I listed will work for your requirements.

Cheapest is use the injectors since you already have the injectors, presuming you currently have non-poe switches.

We've had good luck with the Zyxel POE switches, and those Ubiquiti EdgeSwitches are nice as they support both 24v passive POE and 802.3af.

I've picked up a few used 48 port cisco PoE switches for around 300-400. They've run great and haven't had a single 1 fail.

i got off lease 48 port nortel poe gigabit switches for $180....

got a bunch of the 24s for $120 too... .they're loud but they work great

Back