Best ultraportable? I mean ULTRAportable

aNtHrAx323

2[H]4U
I'm in the market for a new laptop, and am looking for the most portable laptop possible (a la Sony Picturebooks of yore). However, I'd like to avoid any Transmeta processors and such due to the fact that it will be running exclusively Linux, and I need the best performance I can possibly get. Are there any extremely, extremely small laptops on the market with reasonably high resolution displays, preferably widescreen (WXGA, 1280x768 i think), but the biggest aspect is size. I'm a freelance consultant and would like it to have integrated gigabit ethernet, preferably a built-in CD-ROM (I know this might not be possible in a small footprint), and the best battery life possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sony T-series. No gigabit, but you get over 6 hours of battery life, WXGA, DVDRW and Centrino. The TX series includes a GPRS network adapter.

the sony S360 or 460 as well. not ULTRA, but still very small.

best ultra portable for linux is the IBM X32 or X40. at least IMO

Thanks for the input, I'll keep my eye on those...

One model that recently caught my attention is the Asus W5A. I don't want or need the camera, but for ~$1600, it seems like a beast of a deal. The only criticism I've heard to date about it is that the camera's quality is merely adequate, but the laptop itself is rock-solid.

And I consider the fact that it's white a drawback, but hell, aesthetics aren't my top priority.

hey ant, if i may call you that,
I was also in the same market for the ultra portability and this is what i could: you can go with the sony with the 10.6 screen size. But there's also the Toshiba Libretto at a 8.9 lcd, and the fujitsu p1120 at 10.6 as well. Next sizes up would be at least 12 which lots of manufacturers make.

A linux fan , Woooo HOOOO!!! gotta love it, the vaio Tseries is pretty sexy, outside and in.

who nice, about the "Check out the Fujitsu LifeBook P5020", i dont know anythying about Fujitsu, any criticisms about it?? this is helpfull to this thread btw, i dont know if the host knows a lot about this company. that computer looks nice though!

DevilDoc said:
The OQO is ultrarediculous. $1999.00 for a 1.0G Transmeta CPU w/ 512MB ram? It's a good proof-of-concept, but for real world function the Fujitsu Lifebook is a best bet.

http://www.myflybook.com/

it's an itty bitty laptop (palmtop maybe) for $2500 that's pretty similar to the OQO.

At my last job, the tech department that was responsible for testing new gadgets for the company got one of those (among many other next-gen toys). I got to play with the OQO and it's not very practical, hard to type on, and doesn't get good battery life.

Back