Best tubing for H2O cooling?

k-space

Weaksauce
I have a nice water cooled setup with 1/2" ID tubing but the tubing itself sucks. It has zero flexability. What is the best tubing to use? I'd really like something very flexable.

Thanks for any info,

Dane R. Vinson

Well. At homedepot, I was trying to decide on this myself. They have 1/2 ID and 3/8 OD (edit, is these numbers are wrong. That'd make the tube inside out .. hehe I forgot the exact numbers). Very flexible, but might kink without some springs inside it. They also have some 1/2 ID and 5/8 OD which is hard as a rock, but doesn't offer much flex. But no way in hell it'll kink.

So if you have a thick OD, it's going to be less flexible than a thin one.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Buy some Tygon or Clearflex online, the vinyl stuff from home depot isn't very good.

I second this.

Good source for Clearflex is McMaster. They don't identify the stuff directly, although they do have a page devoted to Tygon.

Thanks. The stuff I got was from Home Depot and I definitely wouldn't go that route again.

Originally posted by AggieMEEN
I second this.

Good source for Clearflex is McMaster. They don't identify the stuff directly, although they do have a page devoted to Tygon.

Is the clearflex the PVC stuff? Because I can't find it on the site. And I *don't* want to pay the $5/ft for 1/2ID Tygon :)

Originally posted by codeflux
PVC or clearflex will kink very easily - tygon will not!

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/tubing_clamp.asp

$1.50 per foot, 20% discount for 10ft or more.

Tygon and Clearflex both have PVC in them, I'm not sure what you mean by PVC tubing. Vinyl kinks very easily, and I would say silicone also does. But I use clearflex and have no complaints, it's 100% better than both the plain and fiber-reinforced vinyl I have used in the past.

There is 1/2" "Tygon Chemical" on page 85 of the Mcmaster catalog for $2.00/ft, and the Chemical tubing is $.65/ft, I believe that's clearflex.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
There is 1/2" "Tygon Chemical" on page 85 of the Mcmaster catalog for $2.00/ft, and the Chemical tubing is $.65/ft, I believe that's clearflex.

I don't remember ordering chemical tubing from McMaster. I think it was "Beverage, Food, and Dairy PVC Tubing " Item 5231K371 or thereabouts that I ordered for my rig. I'll have to check for the old shipping slip to be absolutely certain.

Back