Best time to buy a pc this year?

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
I've read lots of comments around here regarding this thing or that thing being released and the impact it will have on component prices.

I'm sure most of it is speculation, but does anyone have a guess as to when new video cards or processors will be released this year? I ask so i can better advise my sister on buying a laptop for herself and also have a better idea for when i'd want to build a new PC this year.

AMD should release their next gen GPU around June or so.

Intel Skylake is coming later this year, probably late Q3.

I'm building at least 1 new PC when Skylake comes out, maybe 2

When you need one. (well really really want in most cases)

Otherwise you will always be chasing something new. Once Skylake is out I'm sure some other awesome thing with be only a quarter or 2 away.

Im thinking sales happen year round, though doesnt back to school time have some good sales?

Im thinking sales happen year round, though doesnt back to school time have some good sales?

Ditto to what others have said. Buy when you need it, but if you can wait around, I think Zohar's suggestion of back to school is the best time. Hopefully by then all 3 (windows, gpu, cpu) will be refreshed and youll probably start to see mark downs for older stuff just before it to clear inventory.

I've read lots of comments around here regarding this thing or that thing being released and the impact it will have on component prices.

I'm sure most of it is speculation, but does anyone have a guess as to when new video cards or processors will be released this year? I ask so i can better advise my sister on buying a laptop for herself and also have a better idea for when i'd want to build a new PC this year.

i would also suggest taking a good look at cases, and decide if going small form factor route would also be beneficial? my next case/system, since i dont care for lappys, will probably be something like a shuttle/cyberpower vapor type case. Somehting that allows full upgrade ability (in particular graphics card) but doesnt take up much room or hopefullygenerate much heat.. I love this little alienware alpha, but miss a few things that was on my old pc.

Last edited:
Back