Best Thermal Compound

carguy83

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
352
Can anyone tell me what the best thermal compound for a heatsink is. Also what should I look for in heatsink compound. Thanks
 
I think Arctic Cooling MX-2 is just about the best available. It out performs Arctic Silver 5 and has no 'set in' period for it to achieve optimal temps like AS5 has.
 
I've also had great luck with Tuniq TX-2, though there may be better alternatives available
 
I've also read that the OCZ freeze compound is pretty good too, though I have no personal experience.
 
I think Arctic Cooling's MX-2 and the TX-2 from Tuniq are pretty much the best out there. I don't buy into the new diamond stuff yet, not enough data on it to make it trustworthy.
 
Although it contradicts my own findings of MX-2 outperforming AS-5 even as time goes by, there was an exhaustive comparison of many compounds that was discussed here, and most interestingly the creator of the top compound in that review took the time to answer a ton of my questions in detail about it. I recently needed a backplate for my 775 cooler and noticed JT started carrying it so I picked up a syringe as well. I'm still testing my chip's max overclock capabilities but will compare it to MX-2 and possibly TX-2 later on. I just popped the noobshield on my chip so it should be interesting. In the end you will likely see more difference with a good fan or more airflow than between the top compounds though.
 
I, and many others here on the best [H]ardware site around, even other reputable websites, have found that when applied PROPERLY, there is VERY little difference between ANY of the good name brand interface materials. Even the white stuff works adequately. If AS5 gave you 5c worse temps than MX2, you had something wrong, period.
 
I think Arctic Cooling MX-2 is just about the best available. It out performs Arctic Silver 5 and has no 'set in' period for it to achieve optimal temps like AS5 has.

AGREED

dropped my temps like 10 degrees on my GTX
 
I saw a 1 to 2 degree change when switching from the stock slop to Ac5. Not too much difference but enough to justify a 5 bucks. For the most part if they cost they same they will perform about the same.
 
I, and many others here on the best [H]ardware site around, even other reputable websites, have found that when applied PROPERLY, there is VERY little difference between ANY of the good name brand interface materials. Even the white stuff works adequately. If AS5 gave you 5c worse temps than MX2, you had something wrong, period.

Winner!
 
I, and many others here on the best [H]ardware site around, even other reputable websites, have found that when applied PROPERLY, there is VERY little difference between ANY of the good name brand interface materials. Even the white stuff works adequately. If AS5 gave you 5c worse temps than MX2, you had something wrong, period.

QFT. Even TOOTHPASTE can be used for a short time if applied correctly.
 
Back
Top