• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best test for used mechanical HD?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I picked up a used Mechanical drive off a buddy and I want to be able to test it and make sure all is well with the drive. What software do you guys recommend? Something I don't have to purchase.
 
badblocks -w will take a long time, but is very thorough. Probably check smart stats before and after, I usually look at these three:

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count
SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count
SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable

Ideally, they should all be zero, but if they're less than say 100 before and after badblocks, I wouldn't worry too much.
 
partedmagic is not exactly free

For a free USB-bootable linux distro, try one of the utilities at::

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

They have Windows-based installers that can put one or more of a whole list of linux distros onto a USB drive for booting.

System Rescue CD is a good choice, but many of the distros in the list will have badblocks (which is a part of e2fsprogs)
 
Just issue a long SMART test and that should be sufficient.

Look for any number than 0 in the variables toast listed
 
Back
Top