Best T-mobile phone?

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
GF is looking for a new phone and has no idea what to buy. I barely use my T-Mobile line so idk what phone she should get. She's probably not going to get a data plan but wants a qwerty keyboard for texting. Also prefers Samsung but is open to other phones. What do you guys think of these?

T-Mobile G-1 (HTC Dream)
Samsung Behold
Samsung Highlight
Blackberry Curve 8900

Wouldn't she want a physical keyboard for texting?

I have an HTCs620 for cheap if you need a GSM phone...;)

The BB 8900 would be the best for texting. It's got a really good keyboard.

Ah damn, I forgot about that Antimatter. She said she's not very good with touch screens. Is the 8900 really better than the G1? She usually likes sliders.

I know it isn't on the list, but I'd say a sidekick might be a better option. I don't think it's possible to get a g1 without a data plan any more (at least that is what the sales guy told me the last time I was in, but he was pretty much an idiot so I take all of that with a grain of salt). I believe the two samsungs you listed are just touchscreen keyboards. I think the 8900 and the G1 are both great phones, but if you aren't going to use the data part of it, it is probably overkill. The thing about the sidekick, if she does decide to get data, it would also be the cheaper plan.

HTC Touch Pro 2.. Will be coming to T-Mobile on August 12th. If this is a "I need to get a phone immediatly and cannot wait" type of post.. then obviously the TP2 is out of the picture.

T mobile sidekick

This if all she wants is texting. The plan is cheaper than the all other phones, the phone is a brick, and it has a very simple interface. Question is, does she mind carrying a hefty phone that 13 year old use? If so, I say go with the BB. It has a better keyboard than the G1, and if she's not going to make use of the G1 features, then what's the point.

HTC Touch Pro 2.. Will be coming to T-Mobile on August 12th. If this is a "I need to get a phone immediatly and cannot wait" type of post.. then obviously the TP2 is out of the picture.
TP2 looks nice but her phone is dying so she needs a replacement. I also assume it will be very, very expensive on release. Both of us don't really care for Blackberries but I'll have her take a look at the Sidekick.

Any estimates on the price w/ discounts for renewing contract?

Any estimates on the price w/ discounts for renewing contract?

Well.. I only know that for Sprint it will most likely be in the ~300$ range if renewing contract. I do not have T-Mobile.. but I was aware of the release date of this phone.

If I was OP. out of the list of phone I would go with the G-1 over the Sidekick.. A buddy of mine has the G1 which I play around with from time to time. Too bad about her phone needing immediate replacement... mine is currently a Sprint Mogul who's screen is completely busted... spider cracks galore.

Well.. I only know that for Sprint it will most likely be in the ~300$ range if renewing contract. I do not have T-Mobile.. but I was aware of the release date of this phone.

If I was OP. out of the list of phone I would go with the G-1 over the Sidekick.. A buddy of mine has the G1 which I play around with from time to time. Too bad about her phone needing immediate replacement... mine is currently a Sprint Mogul who's screen is completely busted... spider cracks galore.

Hope the HTC Touch 2 pro comes out @ end of summer or something, that way I can sell my N95 8GB at hopefully a decent price. I also would want to play with it in-store, heard its either hit and miss with the HTC Touch pro

Also, I wonder if it comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5..

Last edited:

I tried out the G1 and liked it a lot and thought it would fit her better than the others so I told her she should get the G1...she got the Blackberry. :rolleyes: Idk I'm just not a fan of BB.

I tried out the G1 and liked it a lot and thought it would fit her better than the others so I told her she should get the G1...she got the Blackberry. :rolleyes: Idk I'm just not a fan of BB.

She'll be happy with the BB. The 8900 is a very good phone with a ton of memory and a decent processor. Im biased toward BBs though, but it hasnt rubbed me wrong yet and this is my third model.
Do she have the data plan with it? If im right, its on the edge network, right?

I got the 8900 curve recently too it has been the best phone i have ever gotten for years... It has everything i would ever need, i honestly think its the best phone to get from t-mobile

If your GF is not in a hurry, I would wait until September for the new Blackberry Onyx (9020).

After going hands-on with the Onyx, I think it's safe to say THIS IS the traditional (no touchscreen) BlackBerry smartphone so many of us have been waiting for. It always seems that every new BlackBerry smartphone makes a compromise somewhere on its specifications and feature sheet - be it the Bold's camera, or the Curve 8900's lack of 3G, or the Tour 9630's lack of WiFi, or the Storm's lack of memory and snappy OS.

RIM has finally packed it ALL into one device with the Onyx -- 3G, WiFi, GPS, 3.2 megapixel camera - and they've done it in a tight form factor. If you put the Onyx side by side with the BlackBerry Bold and compare the specs, you realize the triumph in engineering RIM has accomplished here. The Onyx is basically better in every way but has a much smaller footprint (though arguably the Bold's extra width makes for a better keyboard and physically wider display that some users may prefer). So if you're relaxing this Memorial Day weekend, grab a bevvie, sit back and read on to see tons of photos, a video and some first impressions of the BlackBerry Onyx.
It is expected on T-Mobile in September.

It should ship with BBM 5.0 from day one, which will include threaded text messaging.

lgonyx19.jpg

Blackberry Bold (left) vs. Blackberry Onyx

Edit: I'm assuming your GF opts for a data plan. Obviously, 3G doesn't make a difference if you don't sign up for data service.

Last edited:
Just ordered a 8900 from tmobile through newegg (phone is free w/2years) and it going to be relief enough to not deal with sprint ever again. With that said I played with the tour and BBs are ftw.

Back