Best surface for out of case mobo

schapman

Gawd
I'm planning on ripping my board out of my case tonight to do some more testing with my awsome reboot before post error. I was just wondering what the best surface is to run it on to prevent shorts anywhere. I was thinking a piece of wood maybe with an antistatic bag on top? Also.. so I have to worry at all that it can't ground through the case anymore? or should the ground to the psu take care of it?

just lay if on something flat, your desk perhaps, you don't even need a static bag,

Isn't the point of antistatic bags that they DO conduct, so they absorb the static electricity?

DO NOT put it on an anti-static bag. They are conductive, and can short something and ruin your mobo + parts. A piece of plywood, your desktop, a corrugated cardboard box, a large manila envelope...

Basically anything non-conductive/non-metal.

Stoopid Guy said:
Isn't the point of antistatic bags that they DO conduct, so they absorb the static electricity?

yes, which is why i advised putting in on just the desk

I usually use the foam that they put in the motherboard packaging, and set that on top of the box and then the motherboard on top of that. For testing anyways. Hmmm....wonder if anyone has ever built a "Motherboard Box" computer? Seems like a natural :D

Buckus said:
I usually use the foam that they put in the motherboard packaging, and set that on top of the box and then the motherboard on top of that. For testing anyways. Hmmm....wonder if anyone has ever built a "Motherboard Box" computer? Seems like a natural :D
[offtopic]
damn you for putting ideas in my head! i just got this lanparty 250GB working now your making me want to mod it into its box again :(

i might try that with my next setup :D .

then go one step further and watercool it :p[/offtopic]

use the foam pad it came on or just a desk.

DO NOT use an antistatic bag.

Mmm... foam makes static. I'd just put in on top of the cardboard mobo box, probably the simplest solution.

the foam it comes with the mobo doesnt.

at least the kind that came with my Lanparty NF3...

I normally just use the box my mb comes in....or cardboard/plexiglass....

Back