Best stable display drivers for Vista 64?

kaiweiler

Limp Gawd
Using an ATI card, have tried catalyst 7.12 and 8.1 and both give me a BSOD relating to the display driver crashing.
Event viewer has logged 13 warnings in the last 24 hours with the ID 4101 > Display driver timeout and recovery.
Well it'd be nice if it actually recovered, it crashes and gives me a nice BSOD and restarts.
Card temps are fine and at stock speeds, so I don't think it's hardware related.

Any other x64 users have this problem, or what display drivers are you using?

Without knowing more about your video card & system it's hard to say. My advice would be to make sure you have the latest system drivers for everything for your system for Vista and then go from there. Is there a pattern to when these BSOD occur? That may provide a clue as well.

I did just check for the latest ATI drivers, and there were some released on the 16th of this month (at least for an x1800) which look to be the v8.1 you're talking about. I would still load those in and then work from there.

im running a hd 3850 and i am getting crashing sometimes too. my monitors will just start like flashing black and then it says the driver has crashed and recovered. Sometimes it doesn't recover and i have to reboot the computer.

e4500
6gb ocz gold

im running a hd 3850 and i am getting crashing sometimes too. my monitors will just start like flashing black and then it says the driver has crashed and recovered. Sometimes it doesn't recover and i have to reboot the computer.

e4500
6gb ocz gold

That's exactly it...
are you using Vista?

It's most likely an overheating issue. The 3870/3850 cards from some companies have a bug in the firmware that prevent the fan speed from adjusting correctly in response to temperature. The temps may show normal right up to the moment the driver crashes. In non-3D mode, the 3870/3850 will automatically underclock, but as soon as 3D (or possibly high activity in 2D) is detected, the card will ramp up the clock. If the fan is not responding, the card will quickly overheat, long before the software temperature monitor indicates it has.

Try opening your case and pointing a box fan into it. I'm betting that will prevent your crashing. I've run all three versions of the ATI drivers (7.11, 7.12, 8.1) in Vista and the only time I get a driver crash like what you experience is when I overclock the 3870 too much, or it overheats.

im not doing any overclocking, and it doesnt usually crash the wholesystem, just the display blinks black and then vista says vista has recovered from a video driver error and then i can go on with doing regular activity

I had the same problem in Vista 64 with my 3870 and switched out a 8800GTS THAT works great. But back to getting yours to work. Load atitool and use it to increase you fan speed go to settings and then select fan control at the top and use the setting of (try to keep GPU temperature at: 50c then use apply and then back then close it and the fans should gear up. You will hear them and you temps will be 50c.

good luck.

I am using the Accelero S1 on my card, so there is not fan.
It does not overheat, the highest I've ever seen it was 46C

If you are using a passive, aftermarket heatsink with no ramsinks, then I would even more strongly suspect overheating. Those GDDR chips can become pretty unstable with only moderate increases in temperature.

What happens if you put the original heatsink back on? If you remount the factory heatsink and your crashing goes away, then it's a near 100% certainty that it's a heat issue.

If you are using a passive, aftermarket heatsink with no ramsinks, then I would even more strongly suspect overheating. Those GDDR chips can become pretty unstable with only moderate increases in temperature.

What happens if you put the original heatsink back on? If you remount the factory heatsink and your crashing goes away, then it's a near 100% certainty that it's a heat issue.

The GPU never goes higher then 46C
and all memory chips have ramsinks
It's not overheating.

Back