Best Spam Filter? Exchange 2000

JeffPell

n00b
I am looking for the best exchange 2000 spam filter. This needs to be a server side app. I have been shying away from a lot of the ones i've found on the internet because they are all ranging about $40 per license. I don't want to spend a bundle since we will probably be upgrading our server to 2003 within the next year.

If anyone has any cheap solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

We are using a Barracuda Spam Firewall. It is wonderful. It may be a bit more than you are looking for, but it works great! This way if you swap out your Exchange server, it isn't effected by that. Also if you have to take down your Exchange server for a while, it acts as a backup mail server and will hold everything till the Exchange server is back up and running.

I highly recommend them. LDAP lookups mean that your Exchange server isn't spending time dealing with messages that don't go to anyone, so it drops the load on the Exchange server. It clears out Viruses, spam, phishing attacks.

I would put a qmail box before ( and after ) the exchange box, running all of your AV/spam software.

To that end, I use spamassassin and *love* it.

As with the Barracuda system, this is a pre-server solution, so if your exchange system went down, you wouldn't lose any mail.

If you know what you are doing with linux and qmail, this is about 4 hours worth of work ( over estimating ). If not, they it's something you might want to hire an outside company to handle. Depending on how many users you have, that may still be cheaper than buying something at 40 per user.

would say SpamAssasin is one of the top rated

GFI mail essentials is what i use on our Exchange system 2003. - has alot of great features.

We used an external company for our filtering (www.appriver.com). Their filtering was better than anything we tried onsite, and their web interface allowed a lot of control of what got filtered and what was let through. I think it was only $79 total for 50 accounts. They also cache incoming emails in case your server is offline, so it allowed us to do maintenance on the email server whenever we felt like it.

We did use GFI here at work, but I think a few of our hosted customers are using MXlogic now and its supposed to be superb.

I am sur 3rd parties are great - but i would prefer to keep it in house and in my control - i know u sign agreements they cant read your email or anything - but how do you know some late night employee isnt bored and decides to skin through your CEO's messages about the company going under and stocks are dropping......

I use the GFI products running on a seperate Windows 2000 box that only runs the GFI and BlackBerry server.

MrGuvernment said:
I am sur 3rd parties are great - but i would prefer to keep it in house and in my control - i know u sign agreements they cant read your email or anything - but how do you know some late night employee isnt bored and decides to skin through your CEO's messages about the company going under and stocks are dropping......
You don't give a help desk monkey access to things like that, that's how.

It's easy as shit to do without a 3rd party product, keep that in mind.

Another vote for Barracuda's.

We've deployed about 10 of them to clients, huge success, and very little admin time required.

Back