• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best space sim/shooter ever?

Best space shooter/sim ever?


  • Total voters
    220
Tachyon: The Fringe.

Ok, maybe not the best ever (haven't played 'em all, so I can't say), but it's at least worth listing ;)
 
*gasp* I can't believe I forgot that one! Sorry 'bout dat... :(

I liked Tachyon, too.
 
The first Wing Commander. I spent hundreds of hours on that thing w/ my 386. I got a paper route and washed cars all summer so I could upgrade from an EGA to a VGA graphics card :)
 
Toilet Duck said:
Tachyon: The Fringe.

Ok, maybe not the best ever (haven't played 'em all, so I can't say), but it's at least worth listing ;)

Yeah, that one was really good. Bruce Campbell is GOD!

Anyway, I'd say Freelancer is my favorite of the ones listed. It's especially good if you download the Rebalance Mod (which adds, tons of well known ships, weapons, ship parts, and generally improved the gameplay of the original version). If you play Freelancer, get the Rebalance Mod.
 
I liked almost all those games.

Instead of another boring alien/modern day/WWII shooter, why doesn't some company make a space sim?

Graphics on ships could be amazing... after all, there is no real background to render.
 
I voted Wing Commander: Prophecy, but I really wanted to vote Wing Commander IV :)
 
Wing Commander... The first one. Though WC2 comes in 2nd and X Wing vs. Tie Fighter is a stong contender. I remember at a small game shop back in high school one of my friends and I played it for several hours beating out all challangers. Ah the joys of hearing "how the hell did you do that?!?!!??" and "you bastard" from one of the other computers :p
 
Star Trek Bridge Commander

<3 Star Trek... they need to make a BC2 tho, with graphics better than Doom3, and alot more options :D im gettin a woody, so I gotta stop <3
 
Privateer is one of my all-time favorite games and they desperately need to make more games like it.

Tachyon was very nice as well. Especially with Bruce Campbell doing the voice acting.

One that I almost never see mentioned is Independence War II. Very cool open-ended space flight sim. Almost as good as privateer and better in some respects. There are some great mods for it as wel including some good Babylon 5 modsl. I spent months playing it and never finished it. I loved going out and pirating the traffic lanes. And there's just nothing like the first time you accidently hit an anti-matter container. :)
 
Privateer 2 blew my mind... Probably one of the first good "storyline/plot" yet open environment like Vice City...

But it had to run in DOS!? WTF

(Hi zoramac :) )
 
I'm a HUGE fan of shooters. I could go on and on about these, but i'll name a few that I really liked:

Einhander
R-Type DELTA
G-Darius (although I get tired of the fish thing after a while)
Ikaruga
Nanostray (just got it for my DS and it is really fun)
Stinger (yes... old NES version)

I could put SOOOO many more down. Shooters are some of my favorite all time games.
 
Damnit, now I want to play privateer 2 :( but alas it doesn't like running on fast systems. Anyone have an old P2 system they would be willing to sell to me for real cheap? Like 5 plus shipping? :)



Also, I haven't played it but a couple of my friends swear by EVE online.
 
Starfox (the regular old Super Nintendo version, never could get into any N64 games, that controller was fucking awful).
 
Original X-Wing then followed by FreeSpace 2.

God, I would give my left testicle to have FreeSpace 3 :(
 
We've always had a blast with the Descent series. I know its not quite "space" the feel is the same.
 
I agree with any of the descent series. The descent 1 thru 3 were very fun blying around in all those mine tunnels and what not. Then going on to the Freespace series which was just awesome with the battles you could get into.

I also definitely agree that it would've been great if they'd made a Freespace 3. I did find a company a while back that had started making a Descent 4 but Interplay who ownes the Descent name put a stop to it. It looked like it would've been a really good game because they were updating the graphics and physics and everything. Too bad there isn't a time limit on sequels to a game. You know something like if a sequel hasn't been made for a game for like 5 years then anyone can take the game and make their own sequel to it (or something like that).
 
Freespace 3 would be a welcome sight to the space sim/shooter doldrums we've been going though lately. :( I'll probably pick up X3 when it comes out. Hopefully it'll work better than X2 did.
 
tie fighter and expansions had some of the most fun campaigns i have ever played. Missileboat rocked. And the story was good and even intrigueing. Really gave a good star wars feel as a Navy pilot without the boring jedi/kill everything routine. :cool:
 
I really loved Freelancer, i played straight through that game when i got it.

I don't know if this would belong here of if it's a different kind of game, but Gradius III is freakin sweet. I've played through that game sooooooo many times. Me and friends make runs on hard mode to see who can go the longest. Last time we did it my friend Mat beat the whole game on hard w/o dying once.

Gradius V is really good too, much harder than 3 from what i've played but i don't have a PS2 so i haven't been able to spend much time with it at all.
 
Star Trek: Klingon Academy. I miss that game. But I lost cd1. It was like 7 CD's or something. Huge game with lots of movie material and great gameplay.
 
I liked the granddaddy of them all: Elite
Wasn't as fancy as modern ones but it took alot of hours out of my life when it came out... :p
 
Back
Top