• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Software RAID for SPEED in RAID 0

Computurd

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
956
alrighty guys, hope this isnt too stupid of me to ask...

Heres the deal:
I am in need of a very good soft raid program. I have tons of full featured raid cards that are just the shit, i mean they area awesome. However, with the arrays that i have been receiving from vendors I am running into bandwidth caps. Even the 9265 was fully strangled in my latest review of 8 Wildfires in RAID 0. Until the 2308 cards are out, there will not be any cards that can reach the full speed potential.
So...what to do? i have 8 OWC 6G Pro SSDs here now, and I am writing a review on these and using them for another review as a base array for testing.
I need to do soft raid (I have a 9211, plus I can use a number of different raid cards in passthrough if need be) with a RAID 0 that will give me the ultimate in speed.
I can be retarded with command line interfaces, not my strong suit. So, the easier it is to use the better.
What is the fastest softraid solution in either Win7 or Server 2008 R2?
 
You and your damn uber-end hardware! Everyone on the forum should be jealous of your hardware. ;)

Why can't you be using Linux? MDADM has excellent RAID0 features.
Windows-Software RAID isn't that hot, tbh with you.

If you find anything 3rd party software suites, I would like to know as well.
 
Why can't you be using Linux? MDADM has excellent RAID0 features.
Windows-Software RAID isn't that hot, tbh with you.

If you find anything 3rd party software suites, I would like to know as well.

because when he posts the review, he can't post bonnie screenshots. he's going to have to post as-ssd, atto, cdm numbers.
 
yup, it has to look pretty!

Seriously though, i appreciate being steered towards the winders implementation, but it is terrible. I get faster results off of the cards. the thing is when it goes to allocation sizes i just accept the default.
wondering here if there is a way to adjust the stripe sizes for these volumes? EDIT: there isnt, further research shows that they are stuck at 64KB.
I am such a soft raid putz. I really have no clue what im doing. I have configured several of them by doing striped volumes in the disk mgr, but the results are terrible.
you would just select all 8 devices and put them in a striped array one would think.
surprised there aren't some more flexible options out there.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top