Best smart phone for a real estate agent?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
My mom is a real estate agent and uses a Blackberry atm, but it's getting old and she wants a new phone. What would be best?

iPhone, WP7, or Android?

All the real estate agents I've seen recently have been using iPhone's. I've even seen an app for them which allows them to access electronic locks on houses and gain entrance to them.

Yeah, generally iPhones are best for people with vaginas. :D

I would say iPhone definitely (vagina or not). It's a more suitable choice for business because the platform is undeniably more stable and mature. And it has very good power management and battery life.

I love Android, it's what I use. I can do a lot more geeky things with it. But there is certainly a trade off with less stability, a badly fragmented ecosystem, and often poor battery life. While some Android phones may have battery life comparable to iPhone in ideal circumstances, I often run into apps that start misbehaving, don't seem to let the phone get into the idle state and end up eating half my battery life before I realize it and reboot the phone (you'll probably never have to reboot an iPhone).

Windows Phone 7 I don't know much about. It's pretty new, small app selection. I think it's still a bit early to consider it for business use.

For a real-estate agent an iphone makes more sense cause it "Looks" better in front of clients compared to an "insert name here" Android. It's more for image than a usefulness thing, at least for the agents I know.

I would say iPhone definitely (vagina or not). It's a more suitable choice for business because the platform is undeniably more stable and mature. And it has very good power management and battery life.

I love Android, it's what I use. I can do a lot more geeky things with it. But there is certainly a trade off with less stability, a badly fragmented ecosystem, and often poor battery life. While some Android phones may have battery life comparable to iPhone in ideal circumstances, I often run into apps that start misbehaving, don't seem to let the phone get into the idle state and end up eating half my battery life before I realize it and reboot the phone (you'll probably never have to reboot an iPhone).

Windows Phone 7 I don't know much about. It's pretty new, small app selection. I think it's still a bit early to consider it for business use.

I agree. For the battery life alone, iphone seems like a better choice IMO.

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch

Better rated battery life than that iPhone 4
Bigger and more colorful screen to show pictures for older clients
Has 4G in select markets...
Also has that real estate app... I just bought a place, I know.
1.2 GHz Dual-Core
Google Sync... Yup..

P.S. I encountered 4 real estate agents. 2 had iPhone and both had trouble with it, and I had to show them how to do things... Both also believed they have 4G... "I don't know why I paid so much for a 4G phone and the speed is still so slow." One had a blackberry dunno what. And another had a Android Nexus One.

Last edited:
She is on Verizon
Well, either wait for the iPhone 4S/5 or the Droid Prime. I would choose the phone with bigger screen-size, better brilliancy of the colors, and wider viewing angles, so it would be easier for the clients to see. Most likely, that would be the Droid Prime rumored at 4.65" end-to-end screen 720p HD screen.

I would call myself an expert iphone and android user (Mobile Developer). And I have to say the iOS is easier than androids in certain areas but also way harder in most others. So don't buy into the propaganda. Most of my iphone using friends always complain about how it's SO complicated, yet ask what's the alternative, and go into the whole propaganda about how androids suck from listening to those baseless claims. The fact that most of them think that they have 4G says something...

iPhone 4 is still a good phone, and it can do most of the basic tasks; but I suggest you wait a few weeks for the iPhone4S/5 or, as I suggested before, the Droid/Nexus Prime.

Good luck to your mom in whatever phone you get her.

Last edited:
i dont see any real estate agents with Black Berry's.

I work with a real estate agent and she uses a Blackberry. She didn't want an iPhone (wanted a proper keyboard) and at the time the electronic lockbox app wasn't out on Android when she was phone shopping, so she had to get a Blackberry if she wanted to open the lockboxes remotely.

I understand that the lockbox app is on Android now, just sayin' for a time, it wasn't available.

I understand that the lockbox app is on Android now, just sayin' for a time, it wasn't available.
For a time, people thought horseless carriages was just a fad...

Heck, the "app" was available on Windows Mobile and Palm back in the old days too. Yes, stick to that Treo!

Here a pdf document about it:
http://www.utcfssecurityproducts.com/Site Assets/current_devices.pdf

I wonder why I know so much about it... XD

P.S. It will also support WP7.5 (Mango) when it becomes available.

Everyone says how easy WP7 is to use, and that it integrates with the different MS Office products she uses, should I get her a WP7 phone?

Everyone says how easy WP7 is to use, and that it integrates with the different MS Office products she uses, should I get her a WP7 phone?
Problem is you don't have much of choice on Verizon with WP7, but, yes, the phone has arguably the best and most easy to use user interface. The WP7 user experience (UX) is redesigned from the grounds up for a mobile device. Too bad their SDK was lacking until Mango - so development had been slow. The HTC Trophy should get the mango update.

It's also hardware optimized, so everything should be smoother than either iPhone 4 (benchmark tested) or the current high-end Android devices. But the screen quality isn't as good, and the camera is subpar on the Trophy.

Last edited:
Hmm I might just have her wait for some new Mango devices on Verizon from HTC or someone else then.

You'll possibly be waiting a long time for a new device because the Trophy is already a great device and it should receive the Mango update any week now. Verizon likely won't go after more WP7 devices because they are too busy masturbating over having the iPhone or fullfiling their contractual agreements to push Android. :p Basically, I'll be really surprised if Verizon shifts their attitude on WP7. They are notoriously dumb as shit when it comes to having a well rounded device offering. There's zero reason they can't be offering the 7 Pro (Sprint does), in my opinion one of the best phones for business users. They offered all of its predecessors in the past.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-7-pro/

And yet they don't. Anyway head over to wpcentral.com if you want a bunch more WP7 info.

This is a very timely question for me as well having been a realtor for almost a decade. I had the BB 8330 and when the new BOLD 9930 came out purchased that. When I could not restore or back up contract (and a few other problems) exchanged the phone and same problem. Bold 9930 going back and I am using the 8330 til I make a decision.

If the iPhone comes to Sprint during Oct. '11 I will lose the everything anytime for $99 a month, so I should probably make a decision soon.

Now I am faced with the iPhone which doesn't handle as easily as the Epic 2, Evo, etc.

I know Android is the rage.

Had Macintosh computers and have been extremely happy with them. But I am not so sure that Apple knows how to make phones properly.

It was much easier for me to type on the Samsung, etc. I text clients almost exclusively and have to be able to type on the phone. Hence why I stayed with BB so long.

Am I going to be able to securely backup a 'Droid online so that if my phone falls in water (again) I can restore it. I'm sure it won't sync with a Mac, did I get that right?

Every time I had a Blackberry go belly up, because the phone was not working Sprint told me there was no way to carry the contact to my new BB.

When I finally got Desktop Mgr for Mac I could get it to work with the 8330, except for the last time. I now have my contact on a flash drive but the Sprint Rep told me that unless they are on a phone, they cannot transfer them to another phone !!!

Am I going to find more support for the Android OS or Apple OS **Cell Phones** !

The Genius bars have been great with my Macs, but does anyone have in depth experience with both OPERATING SYSTEMS of both phones? ...

and can any make a guess about the future of either OS?

Our MLS is offering an Adroid seminar lasting most of the day in a week so I'm going to take that ... as the Mac OS is very familiar to me.

Suggestions?

thanks so much - Fay Kelley, Sedona, AZ

She is on Verizon

Have her wait it out a month or so. See what the i5 is, see what the Nexus Prime is or if it even comes out. Too many potential goodies out in the next 4-6 weeks to warrant getting something today.

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch

Better rated battery life than that iPhone 4
Bigger and more colorful screen to show pictures for older clients
Has 4G in select markets...
Also has that real estate app... I just bought a place, I know.
1.2 GHz Dual-Core
Google Sync... Yup...
As the owner of a SGS2E4GT (whew!) I approve this message. Just make sure Sprint has decent data coverage in your respective areas.

get the evo 3d, the dedicated camera button and the great opictures it takes makes it ideal for her - its easy to use - and the 3d feature might be helpful on some sells - like how something looks on the house or in the house..

I work in a Real Estate company, one of the bigger ones... There is a mix of iPhone's and Android devices. I think it mostly comes down to what type of web applications does your mother use? For instance we use sureclose and an MLS website. Neither work on safari yet the sureclose website has an app for the iPhone. Find out what websites she uses. Thats the 1st priority, the 2nd would be your contact data. In this regard i prefer all the reps to use Android devices because we are steering them away from outlook and to company gmail alternatives. Gmail will automatically save their pictures/contacts/calender all on the web in case the phone gets lost/broken/dies. I know iPhone has the mobileme which i think does the same thing but if i remember correctly its only between sync's? In my office the people /w iphone devices never sync becuase they never use their phones for music/movies etc. From a user friendly perspective i'd go with iPhone. For application perspective its up to what your mom uses. From data recovery android hands down.

Back