Best single slot card?

dyesan

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 7800GT running 2x24" at 2400x1920. It's a weird setup, but I'd like to upgrade to a better card that can at least run some RTS's at medium/low settings but fullscreen.

The problem is it can only be a single slot card. I need to know what the best single slot solution is, preferably the largest GPU RAM available (1gb?). Would it be possible to switch a double slotted card for a single slot cooler? Also, I don't mind switching to ATI.

My guesses are: 9800GT, 4850/70? Is there anything worth waiting for in the next few months that will fit my criteria?

Thanks.

I currently have a 7800GT running 2x24" at 2400x1920. It's a weird setup, but I'd like to upgrade to a better card that can at least run some RTS's at medium/low settings but fullscreen.

The problem is it can only be a single slot card. I need to know what the best single slot solution is, preferably the largest GPU RAM available (1gb?). Would it be possible to switch a double slotted card for a single slot cooler? Also, I don't mind switching to ATI.

My guesses are: 9800GT, 4850/70? Is there anything worth waiting for in the next few months that will fit my criteria?

Thanks.

The two best options truly are the 9800GT and the ATI 4850. The 9800GT will run cooler if thermals are a problem or if your situation doesn't have very good ventilation. The 4850 of course gets pretty toasty, but it's a stronger card and will outperform the 9800GT by a noticeable margin. Those would be my top picks.

Thanks for the quick replies. Any chance for 4870 single slotted? w/ or w/o 3rd party cooler?

Thanks for the quick replies. Any chance for 4870 single slotted? w/ or w/o 3rd party cooler?

Most 3rd party coolers take up even more room than a dual slot stock card would take up! There are a few exceptions, but single slot stock coolers, admittedly not always cooling the best, will generally take up less room. Palit occasionally will offer a shorter or thinner card than normal. I would check online offerings for the Palit designed card of your choice. Good luck!

I also have this same question... 'best single slot video card?'. It appears the 9800GT is it for the NVidia camp. I've had Nvidia cards since doing away with my Voodoo2 8MB card in 2000 :) But I am now considering ATI cards.

My question, which is related, is, which manufacturer is best positioned for a future Intel based rig with respect to implementing SLI/Crossfire? WIll it matter in the future? It seems the multi-GPU standards are advancing and materializing such that that there will be less proprietary-ness among video card manufacturers and chipset manufacturers. Any comments?

I also have this same question... 'best single slot video card?'. It appears the 9800GT is it for the NVidia camp. I've had Nvidia cards since doing away with my Voodoo2 8MB card in 2000 :) But I am now considering ATI cards.

My question, which is related, is, which manufacturer is best positioned for a future Intel based rig with respect to implementing SLI/Crossfire? WIll it matter in the future? It seems the multi-GPU standards are advancing and materializing such that that there will be less proprietary-ness among video card manufacturers and chipset manufacturers. Any comments?

Right now, you can only implement SLI on one Intel chipset: the incredibly expensive X58. I wouldn't exactly call this "less proprietary," as builders have to include an Nvidia chip on the board to enable SLI. And, as far as I know, Nvidia does not have an i7 chipset license, so I'd say that relatively inexpensive SLI on Intel is a dead-end.

All Intel chipsets support Crossfire, including the relatively inexpensive P45. And when I say "support," I mean it works very well.

4870 1GB is the more powerful and financially viable solution. The next step up has an over 25% price difference.

Great info guys, thanks for the input. I may just join the ATI camp with a 4850! :)

Back