Best single slot Card for Physix

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys what would be the best single slot card for physix to be jammed in my case next to 3 780gtx cards. I only have room for a single slot card, I realize this is not Practical but this is [ H ] ardocp and I hate having that last slot empty ( I think I have OCD )

Unless you are going to use a Titan, there's no point in adding a dedicated PhysX card as it will only reduce performance.

There aren't any single slot cards that are powerful enough to do dedicated PhysX without causing slowdowns.

That sucks! Guess I'll buy a new case and get another 780 for grins since my case is too small

Somewhat related - can I use AMD cards for graphics and a single Nvidia Physx card? Or can't mix like that?

Don't bother using a physx card with AMD. Aside from roughly 1 physx game being released per year, getting physx to work with AMD cards is just an exercise in frustration. You can try it but you will be highly annoyed, and I don't find physx compelling enough to bother with the hassle.

I also agree with the above poster who stated that physx cards are generally not worth it, even if using nvidia. I tried using a physx card with my 780 once, and the benefits just really weren't there. Higher temps and more power consumption for 1-2 more fps? No thanks.

I agree with everyone above. When I started using my 780, it quickly became clear that the 650 I had dedicated to PhysX did little but cause my system to run at higher temps.

Physix is not for more FPS but a better experience. With the limited use in games, I'd look for other places to improve, like maybe lightboost 120MHz.

Glad I saw this thread was going to use a back up 560ti dedicated physix , and run it along side my 670 when playing metro last light and bf3? If I do that on my z77 sabertooth it would drop to x8 bandwith wise since it would split my lanes? Still worth it or what?

Glad I saw this thread was going to use a back up 560ti dedicated physix , and run it along side my 670 when playing metro last light and bf3? If I do that on my z77 sabertooth it would drop to x8 bandwith wise since it would split my lanes? Still worth it or what?

Physxs cards work quite well, however they don't usually gain you much max fps, they simply keep you from having big dips in fps when it gets intense. A GT640 helped out a ton with maxing BL2 with a single 770. My minimums in heavy fights with a lot of effects went from 0 to around 30-40fps with physx on high.

It would certainly help in Metro: LL, but I don't believe that BF3 uses PhysX.

Does mixing a PCIE 2.0 and a PCIE 3.0 card cause both cards to run at 2.0? If it doesn't, you won't really ever see a situation where performance decreases. If it does, you could potentially lose a percent or two in games that don't use hardware PhysX (due to the 670 potentially running at 8x PCIE 2.0). Nothing major.

Guys what would be the best single slot card for physix to be jammed in my case next to 3 780gtx cards. I only have room for a single slot card, I realize this is not Practical but this is [ H ] ardocp and I hate having that last slot empty ( I think I have OCD )

You don't need it.

Even if you had only one 780, the physics processor on the 780 itself is sufficient enough. Using a card for Phys X is just a waist of power.

I'd just fill it with something else. Maybe a RAID controller or perhaps a 10 gig Ethernet or Infiniband NIC if you have a good enough file server to bother with more than 1gig ether. I went the NIC route. I've got a pretty serious home server- quad socket F Opteron with 32GB ram and a 7 drive (7 active+1 hot spare) 15k rpm SAS RAID5. I have about $500 into it. Gotta love used parts. Another option is one of those PCI-e SSDs. Hmm... I do have an 8x slot free...

I'm running 2560x1080p on a LG 29in Ultrawide, I'm thinking of going with 1 30 inch once I upgrade to Ivy-E. one thing on all 3 of my EVGA Boxes they all say 4 way sli but as far as I know only system builders can go 4 way, is there hacked drivers so I can do it?

Back