Best shooter currently out there based on SP game alone?

I would recommend Singularity by Raven software.

It's one of those games that for the most part has been overlooked, but it's a great game.
It uses the Unreal Engine 3, has a solid story line and some unique gameplay abilities.

It's one of the few first person shooter games I have enjoyed playing from beginning to end.

I still enjoy going back through Half-Life 2 here and there. It still looks really great, and the pacing is as good as any game has ever done.
Far Cry would be another stellar FPS with a great campaign.
STALKER didn't do it for me. Granted I haven't messed with it in a long time, but it was a technical mess for me and it was almost like my cross hair was broken.

While not a traditional FPS - have you played Fallout 3 or New Vegas? They're a blend of FPS/RPG and there's a nearly limitless amount of things to do in them.

No matter what the chatter is here, I really liked Crysis 2 as well. The first couple of levels are weak, but stick with it for an hour or two and you'll be rewarded.

It's interesting to me that not one person so far has mentioned MW2, Medal of Honor, BFBC2, etc ... are they really no good in SP?

Stalker people: I get the message! I'll play it! :)

The SP in those games isn't bad but it's only half of the package. Equal/greater emphasis is put on the multiplayer in those games, whereas the STALKERs are extremely SP-focused despite offering MP modes if people want them. None of those games you mentioned are worth full-price for the SP alone.

Well for COD, people on these boards have an almost irrational hatred towards it. But actually for your preferences, the single player fits, it is just relatively short like all games of that type. The one issue you might have is the guns aren't the most impressive sounding. I mean if you loved COD4s single player, the newer ones are basically the same concept.

Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 like mentioned fit your criteria as well, a lot of people will hate them due to how it changed from the classic Rainbow Six series, but again the game by itself fits your criteria. It has a coop multiplayer mode for the singleplayer as well.

BFBC2's single player tries to model itself on COD really (it has some more open sequences, but isn't really the focus), but I would say its considerably weaker. Say what you will about the technical level of CODs graphics, but the production values due its high budget make the difference for a scripted cinematic single player experience.

I have no idea how Medal of Honor plays, although it didn't have the best reception.

Stalker, despite the recommendations, actually plays really different say COD. It models a lot of real world guns, with a more Eastern Europe focus, but using different names (due to licensing issues probably). The guns don't sound all that impressive either. The one main issue is, while they model ballistics, the bullets seem to travel unrealistically slow (likely for game play reasons), but there are mods for that. It's a open shooter (and less cinematic), with a more "survival" and slower paced play, versus run and gun action shooting. It also has RPG inventory elements and character interaction.

Borderlands, I just recently bought this, doesn't have real guns, although the gun types are basically modeled around modern gun types despite being set in the future. One the main elements of the game is basically trying to find better guns to suit your character (it is a RPG mix). It is open, and more of a run and gun action oriented type shooting. Its single player and multiplayer is basically the same thing, you play the single player together with others in multi coop. It has an unique art style, which might be love or hate, but personally I like it and give more points to things like visual expression then the drive for high technical requirements and photo-realism.

I wouldn't call it irrational. Every CoD SP since CoD4 has been written and played like a fourteen year-old's wet dream starring himself as the hero. The game equivalent of a Michael Bay movie with all of the depth. MW2 and BLOPS were so shitty it actually felt like a considered, deliberate attempt to make me hate games.

The COD games are what they are, but what you can't argue with is that when it comes to value-for-money, the last two CODs at 4-6 hours for $60 are just not comparable to the 10-20 hours you can get from STALKER for $10.

I wouldn't call it irrational. Every CoD SP since CoD4 has been written and played like a fourteen year-old's wet dream starring himself as the hero. The game equivalent of a Michael Bay movie with all of the depth. MW2 and BLOPS were so shitty it actually felt like a considered, deliberate attempt to make me hate games.

This is probably going to start an awful debate but. The reason I say irrational, is because a lot the criticism is from the view that because the game doesn't confirm to ones personal tastes it becomes objectively bad. For instance you shouldn't really say a game is bad objectively because it is linear and scripted just because you personally do not like game of that type, that is a personal preference.

Now personally, I'm not even a fan really of that style of gaming (or COD specifically). But at the same time I can't see how you can say those games do not fit what they are trying to achieve. A lot of people (in fact even the majority of PC gamers judging by sales) do like that style, despite the forums (and yours too judging by your post) derogatory attitude towards it.

I compared BC2s single player for instance, which is also going for that style, and I don't see how you can say CODs is worse for example. COD is basically a linear scripted cinematic single player, the question should be does it do that well? It isn't really trying to be a STALKER type game, so saying STALKER is better for instance because it is open to me would only be a valid argument if the person in question specifically wants an open game over a linear one.

The COD games are what they are, but what you can't argue with is that when it comes to value-for-money, the last two CODs at 4-6 hours for $60 are just not comparable to the 10-20 hours you can get from STALKER for $10.

Well to me personally, like I mentioned, since I am not a really a fan of that style of gaming, then yes STALKER to me is worth more money (and I like the series better anyways). But I don't know if its fair to directly compare it in that way. For that type of single player style, if you look at the market, that seems to be the going length due to the nature of developing for that style. And even as a STALKER fan, I have to admit production value wise it does suffer quite a bit in comparison as well to say COD.

If you want an actual longer game, you pretty much have to buy something more open. Any sort of scripted more cinematic linear type game is essentially going to be that short. Particularly if you bundle a multiplayer component with it. I mean STALKER for instance, a lot of the length comes from doing repetitive back tracking (like most open and RPG type games), and as such game play lengths become slightly more difficult to compare. I believe the newer CODs have some sort of "scenario" type modes you can replay as well? Would you count that towards game length? I mean really running back and forth between map locations a dozen times isn't all that different when you thinking about it.

Crysis 2 has a pretty good SP. Not worth $60 though, if you can get it for half that price then I recommend picking it up.

Stalker. All 3. I would usually suggest going through all 3 without mods first, but it seems its quite buggy. So get the complete mods for clear sky and soc. But play CoP without mods first, since there aren't any bugs. Don't use the reloaded mod for it since its got this stupid bug where 2/3rds or so through the game it crashes everytime you try to travel. Also, be careful with the teleport option in SoC complete, enemies can spawn at where you teleport to :/.

Crysis 1 was kinda fun if you try to be sneaky and not really alert any guards.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were really fun, would def. Recommend. New Vegas is getting a huge new patch and dlc soon, so it will be even better.

GTA 4. so much fun to play, I like the story too. It hogs up vram though, my hd 4870 512mb lags and stutters with it on medium textures and high everything else :/

I think I need to get Stalker again... it's been a while... But for now I'm playing Bulletstorm & Crysis 2 and lovin em!!!

It might be worth pointing out that I don't plan to buy any of these games. Before you get any ideas, one of my best buddies, who owns pretty much everything mentioned so far, has given me his Steam account info so I can log in and play his games.

So basically, price isn't an issue. Time is, so I'm wanting to prioritize :)

I'm in the process of re-playing Crysis (just finished it) and Warhead for the second time and it's a blast. I finally have a rig that can max out the graphics and am beginning to master the nano suit as well. The first time through I played on an easier setting and it was pretty much just run and gun with no strategy. Now that I have a better understanding of the suit it's pretty fun trying different approaches and taking the stealth route.

Borderlands is a light hearted shooter that's fun as well, but I would highly recommend playing it with a buddy or two. I think traveling solo throughout the rather large landscapes would get somewhat tiring after a while.

It might be worth pointing out that I don't plan to buy any of these games. Before you get any ideas, one of my best buddies, who owns pretty much everything mentioned so far, has given me his Steam account info so I can log in and play his games.

So basically, price isn't an issue. Time is, so I'm wanting to prioritize :)

In that case really you should probably play the newer CODs first. Since you enjoyed COD4, they really are more of the same type. I'd also give Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 a try. Then Crysis 1/Warhead and Crysis 2. You can likely play through all of these in the same amount of time you'd really need to play through something like say Fallout 3.

A game like STALKER, and more so Fallout 3, is really something you want to spend a lot of time on playing at different pace. They aren't as much straight shooter action games, but blend more genres like survival and RPG. As a game itself, out of everything mentioned I personally like Fallout 3 the most, but I think what I listed previously would fit what you are looking for better.

This is probably going to start an awful debate but. The reason I say irrational, is because a lot the criticism is from the view that because the game doesn't confirm to ones personal tastes it becomes objectively bad. For instance you shouldn't really say a game is bad objectively because it is linear and scripted just because you personally do not like game of that type, that is a personal preference.

Now personally, I'm not even a fan really of that style of gaming (or COD specifically). But at the same time I can't see how you can say those games do not fit what they are trying to achieve. A lot of people (in fact even the majority of PC gamers judging by sales) do like that style, despite the forums (and yours too judging by your post) derogatory attitude towards it.

I compared BC2s single player for instance, which is also going for that style, and I don't see how you can say CODs is worse for example. COD is basically a linear scripted cinematic single player, the question should be does it do that well? It isn't really trying to be a STALKER type game, so saying STALKER is better for instance because it is open to me would only be a valid argument if the person in question specifically wants an open game over a linear one.

I see what you mean now, and you have a point. However, I'd argue with the idea that people are saying Stalker is better than the recent CoD games purely because it's open. It's not because of that - it's because on an objective scale it is a far more involving and better-crafted series. Aesthetically, atmospherically, you name it.

I started and dropped off of Stalker so many times. Even made a thread last time to try and make sure I was playing it right.

It just always felt like that low budged Indie flick you feel like you're supposed to enjoy because all your friends do, but you never really understand why.

Last edited:
I started and dropped off of Stalker so many times. Even made a thread last time to try and make sure I was playing it right.

It just always felt like that low budged Indie flick you feel like you're supposed to enjoy because all your do, but you never really understand why.

LOL, that's sort of how I felt about it.

My favorite SP FPS in a while would have to be the original Crysis and Warhead. It's fun just running around, grabbing koreans by the neck and just tossing them straight up in the air.

It's interesting to me that not one person so far has mentioned MW2, Medal of Honor, BFBC2, etc ... are they really no good in SP?

Stalker people: I get the message! I'll play it! :)

I think MW2 singleplayer is the only game I've ever played that made me feeling angry when I'm playing. Not frustration, but anger. I was pissed at how bad it was and didn't enjoy it at all. It's not like it was a conscious thing either, I just didn't enjoy it at all.

I've played a lot of frustrating games and suffered through ridiculous penalties in games that made me mad, but I've never felt anger from just the gameplay before.

Yeah, all of the STALKER talk has me interested in giving it another chance.
What mods are people recommending? I've only got the first game.

complete is all you need. you can do other stuff later.

and for the haters ( :) ).... main thing I liked about stalker is how it is relatively a living dynamic world compared to other shooters. you also get a good weapon progression. in SoC at the start pretty much everybody can kill you. but given the right guns and armor... take out the military base and just feel pure awesome about it. True that a lot of people don't like the open world nature of the game. but for those that do, it is very rewarding.

It just always felt like that low budged Indie flick you feel like you're supposed to enjoy because all your friends do, but you never really understand why.

The game picks up once you get anything with a scope. Personally, I hate that they forced weapons to be so terribly inaccurate in early portions of the game. I can understand pistols being inaccurate at medium to long range, but rifles are going to hit what you aim at if they're properly sighted and aimed (discounting wind, muzzle velocity etc.)

I'll definitely give this one another shot with that mod. I just remember playing for a couple days and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with anything I tried. I'd have my cross hair on enemies (anywhere from their knees to their head) and I'd full-on miss them more than 1/2 the time.

Yeah, all of the STALKER talk has me interested in giving it another chance.
What mods are people recommending? I've only got the first game.

Definitely STALKER Complete,it not only improves graphics and game play,but adds features like Freeplay,which allows you to continue exploring the Zone after you complete the main quest. Priboi's Story is another good one,it's a conversion with a new story and adds mutants from the other games as well as some some that were created but never used.

I'll definitely give this one another shot with that mod. I just remember playing for a couple days and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with anything I tried. I'd have my cross hair on enemies (anywhere from their knees to their head) and I'd full-on miss them more than 1/2 the time.

Because you can't spray and pray like in cod. You HAVE to aim down the sights and aim to hit anything

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are entertaining but be ware they aren't terribly linear. They play more like Oblivion with guns. They are also buggy and many of the weapons are badly modeled and poorly balanced. Still the games have atmosphere and are quite enjoyable but honestly they really need the mods for a number of reasons. And while I'd like to throw down a list of good first person shooter games (based on SP alone) there aren't many I can come up with. Multiplayer is where all the focus is for most of the recent first person shooters.

Aliens Vs. Predator
Metro 2033
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

That's about all I can think of with any decent single player gaming experience recently. The Call of Duty games are ridiculous but the single player games are fun. The only problem is they really aren't worth it due to their extremely short length.

Last edited:
Because you can't spray and pray like in cod. You HAVE to aim down the sights and aim to hit anything

If you actually want to kill more than 1 dude per 3 magazines you have to aim down the sights in COD as well :p

Stalker CoP is not buggy at all. I beat it twice now and no bugs, except with the reloaded mod. SoC and Clear Sky with complete mod are not buggy either.

I don't play CoD :)
I'm actually talking about full-on lining up a headshot or center mass shot with a rifle and firing a single shot only to have it miss or hit the ground 15 feet in front of the target. I found that my long shots didn't hit and when I got closer I'd get hammered by respawning enemies. Granted I don't think I've had the game installed in several years (it may have even been version 1.0) but it drove me crazy and made me quit.

Sniper rifle ranges in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are pathetic. That's for sure.

Metro 2033 was excellent. I liked it better than STALKER.
Borderlands + its DLCs will provide lots of FPS fun and action.
A couple of older, but really good, SP shooters: Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay and Far Cry.
The greatest shooter ever, IMO: Deus Ex.

Last edited:
I tried the Stalker Complete Mod and it is pretty nice. Performance is better, the game looks better, and the interface is a bit cleaner, too. I haven't really started playing much yet, but it's well worth grabbing if you have the game. Good call!

Metro 2033 was excellent. I liked it better than STALKER.
Borderlands + its DLCs will provide lots of FPS fun and action.
A couple of older, but really good, SP shooters: Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay and Far Cry.
The greatest shooter ever, IMO: Deus Ex.

Metro 2033 is prettier than S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. It's also more linear which some people will prefer.

$5 now on gamersgate today. $10 on steam all weekend. Definitely worth it.

Yea I just saw that, $10 for Metro 2033. I'm definitely going to be picking it up this weekend. Maybe if I have time I'll download and install the complete mod for STALKER and try to get into that game again. I stopped playing a little after starting the first game.

Back