Best settings for BF2

I just upgraded to an eVGA Geforce 6800GT from a 9800 Pro. Anyway, I am wanting to know how to setup my BF2 graphics settings to take advantage of my new graphics card. Basically I want to know how to setup the game for good performance and good graphics. My system specs are:

Intel P4 2.8ghz
1gb Ram
200gb Hard Drive
Creative Audigy 2
eVGA Gforce 6800GT

:cool:

Im sure you can get a high settings and maybe some AA and AF in there. If you really want some AA and AF, you are going to have to sacrifice some settings. Oh be the way, what resolution are you going to playing it at?

I run at 1280x1024 with 2x AA and everything on high except for dynamic lights and shadows. Framerates are good enough for me, generally ranging in the 30's to 40's consistently with the occassional dip into the 20's. I could turn off AA but it makes the image quality good enough that I can deal with the occassional slowdown in large firefights :)

6800 Ultra here.. should be similar...

ummm use Xtreme G's drivers...

1280x960 4xAA 16xAF everything on high.

OR use regular forceware 1280x960 everything on high except for texture :p 4xAA 16xAF

but if you want a little more fps use 2xAA instead of 4x :p

I have an almost identical system, except oc'd. I run @ 1600x1200 w/ mostly medium settings and 2xaa. Runs smooth for me.

dont bother using lighting and shadows unless you really want to. i dont bother using them cause i dont need someone hiding in the shadows :) id rather shoot them than get stabbed in the back

Wildace said:
dont bother using lighting and shadows unless you really want to. i dont bother using them cause i dont need someone hiding in the shadows :) id rather shoot them than get stabbed in the back
And its a bit of a performance hit at the same time :)

Make sure that your system is in optimal shape. Defrag, set up the paging file properly, make sure that all your settings are as optimal as they can be. (I guess that should be the general warning/tip for all new games anyway). Make sure that you can get the latest drivers that are possible, the newer releases fixed a lot of bugs in BF2 with the 6800.

But I would say that at 1280x1024, you could run high everything (except dynamic lights and shadows, for best performance and gameplay I have them off), with medium AA and AF. And view to 100%. also, make sure that the sound quality settings aren't too high and that you are using Hardware mixing. The higher the quality, the more CPU time but also loading time it takes, not just in the map loading but also during the game. Slowdowns like that should be avoided to get the best experience :)

Since you've only gt 1GB ram, I'd recommend setting everything to medium at 1280x1024 with a few things set to high like textures and geometry. I'd also use 2x AA and 2x AF. For the most part, it's hard to tell the difference between medium and high, but medium is much faster overall.

With my Xfx 6800gt, I run BF2 at 1024x768 with 4x aa and "high" in game af (which I am assuming is around 4x to 8x af). Options are a mix between medium and high. I would say 85% of the time, my framerate is above 50. Very acceptable for myself.

Back