best rts?!?

mikeE

n00b
In your opinion, what do you think is the best RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game is?

please say something other than warcraft 3 and starcraft...i know they're awesome but i'm just wondering what else am I missing out there. :D

i currently a huge fan of Rise of Nation: Thrones and Patriots :p

mikeE said:
In your opinion, what do you think is the best RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game is?

please say something other than warcraft 3 and starcraft...i know they're awesome but i'm just wondering what else am I missing out there. :D

i currently a huge fan of Rise of Nation: Thrones and Patriots :p

RoN:T&P is awesome like you said.

If you wanna go older then Total Annihilation with the expansion packs is one of the greatest ever.

I don't know if you're talking single player or multi or both. For single Homeworld is far and away the best RTS ever made, imo. Dawn of War has potential for multi, but I have to break your rules and say Starcraft for now. :)

Total Annihilation gets my vote, but Dawn of War is released next week so we'll just wait and see on that one. So far it kicks ass.

Well as you said Starcraft would take the cake easily. Rise of nations and c&c generals are awsome though.

TA is the one.
I worked on a few maps and mods for that game, and still idle on their IRC.

I also enjoyed TA Kingdoms. But Rise of Nations, before that Empire Earth.

I'd say Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is going to compete with the all time greats.

Other's I've enjoyed have been (in no particular order):

C&C: Generals
C&C: Red Alert
Total Annahilation(sp)
and one other that I can't remember... lol.

The Myth series by bungie.

The single player was done very well. The storyline was very epic and well told.

The game didn't focus on the "build this, pump out units crap" it was all about the strategy of combat, and the combat was fun and bloody :)

I have very fond memories of these games.

the multiplayer is easily one of the best in RTS games, it's like the half life of RTS games. There so many maps, conversions, total conversions for it.

When microsoft bought out bungie they took down bungie.net (multiplayer service for both myth I/II ) , however the fans just wouldn't let it die like that, so they took the multiplayer in their own hands.

www.playmyth.net

If I could have one choice for gaming wise, it'd be for bungie (or the original dev's) to get back the Myth liscense and make a new Myth game.

Myth III was ok, but not as good as I and II (II is my fav).

Also I have to give honorable mentions to:
Lords of the realm series
Stronghold
Sacrifice
Battle Realms
Total war series

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I always thought Myth was a Puzzle type game

You're thinking of Myst.

Myth = RTS
Myst = puzzle based Adventure game series.

Stiler said:
You're thinking of Myst.

Myth = RTS
Myst = puzzle based Adventure game series.

ohhh. Then I don't think I know what the hell myth is. I'm gonna have to check that out

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
ohhh. Then I don't think I know what the hell myth is. I'm gonna have to check that out

If you like RTS games you'll love it.

It's extremely bloody too, one of the first games to have physics in it aswell. Blood spilled down heads, body parts flying everywhere :D

You can find the Myth: the total codex for a good price, it includes both Myth I and II plus a bunch of user made mods/conversions. Also you can stil play multi with people :)

+1 vote for TA with expansions. I love the way it was implemented, especially that you are trying to kill the oposite teams commander, not just all of their buildings and units; while at the same time, your commander is one of the most powerful units. Plus the vast number of units available to each faction are impressive.

Ðave :D

Total Annihilation and Warzone 2100 both kick extreme ass. Best out there in my opinion even though they are both quite old.

I forgot one, though a bit unique in the RTS genre. Battlezone2. That game rocks and I wish they would do another one!

An honorable mention to Battle Realms for style and inherent complexity. (and the minority vote)

C&C: Red Alert was the best C&C game, but I don't like it as much as other RTS's.

RoN (when our group plays it) becomes just a spam fest, and not really that much fun, but I haven't played the expansion yet.

I never really played TA that much, tho our group is deciding to revive it, and I wouldn't mind :cool:

but I prefer Warcraft 3 TFT (human army POWER!) :p

Total Annialation surpasses all that is Starcraft + Warcraft III.

I'm surprised nobody has said Age of Empires yet. Great game.
My favorite would probably be the original Command and Conquer, however. Heehee, the cutscenes are so bad!

Age of Empires I & II. Then again I'm biased since I worked on it.

Back