Best router for use with WHS, HTPC, XBox360 and several computers?

JakeJeckel

Limp Gawd
First off, yes, I did read the router thread, don't flame me for that. :)

As the subject suggests, I'm looking for a new router and I have several devices connected to it already.

I am currently running a WRT54G2, version 1, so it's an old one.

I've got my main computer, a laptop, WHS box, HTPC, an XBox360 and two iPhones that regularly share the connection. I'm on Comcast.

My biggest complaint is that when I'm downloading torrents, even with bandwidth limited to 200kbps down and 25kbps up, the XBox complains very loudly that I have some odd NAT settings, which I do not.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Might be time to roll your router. I'm a big fan of Untangle, pfSense and Astaro Home. I flip flop between Untangle and Astaro for my home firewall a lot. I have two laptops, WHS, DS, MediaCenter PC and never have problems streaming netflix or gaming while I'm torrenting on the WHS box. I have the QoS tweaked quite a bit, though...

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a question.

I have a similar setup as the OP and have been toying with the idea of a PFSense box. Is it really needed for home use?

I use a DGL-4500 and have the following devices:

3 desktops PC's wired
4 laptops two wired two wireless
network wired printer
xbox 360 wired
ps3 wireless
Wii wireless
3x Zune HD wireless
2x Dish DVR's
Vonage router for phone

I had some initial problems with some weird wireless issues with my work laptop changing N speeds very often, but a firmware update fixed that. So far I love the router, and its speed. I have cable internet with 50 down and 20 up, so bandwidth wasn't really an issue, but lag was kinda getting bad. But with this router, I setup QoS and set torrents to a very low priority and that fixed all of my problems with lag while torrents were running. We are heaving gamers here, were we typically have two to four people gaming at the same time, and usually playing different games, and I have had no problems with lag, except for the fact that I live in South Dakota, (far away from most game servers).

Some people have had bad experiences with this router, but I have not. I would recommend this router and it replaced my older 4100 series...

ive had pretty good luck with my dir-655r. I have 2 desktops 2 laptops, WHS, 360, PS3 palm pre and HTC hero hooked up. I run u torrent on my WHS and never have any issues with XBL or anything.

I would recommend the DIR-655 as well. My connected devices consist of: 5 wireless laptops, 1 wired desktop, 1 wired Xbox 360, and 1 wireless Xbox 360 connected via a wireless bridge (WRT54G running DD-WRT).

One of the laptops runs torrents every now and then, with at least one of the Xbox 360's connected to live with no problems.

I would recommend any one of the latest D-link routers (N equipped or not), but the DIR-655 is a great model.

Back