Best resolution for a 15.4" widescreen

Rob001

Weaksauce
Me again.

With the Dell im planning on getting, I have a choice of:

15.4" Wide Screen UltraSharpTM WXGA (1280 x 800) LCD Panel [Included in Price]
15.4" Wide Screen UltraSharpTM WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) LCD Panel [add £35.25 or £1/month1]
15.4" Wide Screen UltraSharpTM WUXGA (1920 x 1200) LCD Panel [add £94.00 or £3/month1]

Ive read that 1680 is a perfect resolution for the screen size, and that you really wouldnt want to go up to 1920 as everything starts to look small. Do you all agree with this?

Hey, thanks. Lots of great stuff on that forum.

So what did you go for with your dell? If the 1920, do you ever use that resolution on the desktop or with applications?

As an aside, you really don't want to run LCD's at anything but their native res unless you have to. They start to look blurry (unless it is exactly 1/4 the native res, then it suddenly becomes clear again :))

I played around with dif res but 1680x1050 fits mine and my college daughters needs, I only get to play with the laptop on the weekends when she comes home. :D

i have the 1900x1620 15.1" or whatever it is and i like it... everything is super precise when it comes to pictures, everything looks like a painting. of course tha tmakes everything else really small but i've gotten used to it and i like this laptop alot.

It depends on how close you like to sit to your monitor. Personally, I would never buy one that is above that WSXGA+ resolution. I'm used to sitting about 2 feet away from a screen, but I had to move in closer to around 1.5 feet to be able to read most websites at their default font. I'm only 24, so I'm not that old either. I probably wouldn't even be able to use that WUXGA+ resolution. On the other hand, for gaming, moving watching, and basically everything except for photoshop or large spreadsheets, I don't think I would mind the regular old WXGA+ resolution.

I have a Gateway 7422 with a 15.4 which maxes out at 1280x800 at 60hz and it could really stand to go to 1680x1050 to avoid having to scroll, but at the same time large enough to be easily read. I would go with the middle choice.

WSXGA+ seems the most sane to me.

WUXGA+ would be a little small unless your head is pretty close to the monitor. Though you could increase the text DPI so text is bigger. My roommate from two years back had a WUXGA+ notebook panel, stuff was so small.

it all depends on how good your eyes are

on my 15.1 i love 1920 x 1200 - i wish i could hit 2000 something x

the all look good as they are ALL widescreen aspect ratios, so it all simply comes down to how good you can see and if you like small icons.

reading text that small for long periods of time has to have some negative effect on your eyes after a few years. as much as i like high res, the size trade off isn't beneficial to me and my eyes. i think 1440x900 is a great resolution. anything higher for me is just too much

Xeero said:
reading text that small for long periods of time has to have some negative effect on your eyes after a few years. as much as i like high res, the size trade off isn't beneficial to me and my eyes. i think 1440x900 is a great resolution. anything higher for me is just too much

it wont have any negative affect if you have 20/20 - i can sit 4ft from my laptop and read the text crystal clear.

it is all a matetr of each individual persons eyes, many people come to see something on my laptop and do have to sit 1ft from the screen to see things.

I have the Dell Inspiron 6000D as well, and run it at 1680x1050. It's nice because it has a lot of real estate to use up, but you don't have to squint to read text.

i will never go to CRT again - going from a Sony trinitron 1600 x 1200 to this 15.1 lcd @ 1920 x 1200 i love it.

Just to let you all know, I went with the 1620 res option.

I should get the laptop next week. Can't wait!

I'll post it in the pics thread after i've played around with it for a bit.

Back