Best remote to control PC from the couch?

Udo

Limp Gawd
I want to be able to control my PC with a remote control and I am flabbergasted that retail stores are sorely lacking in such devices. No, I am not paying $300.00 for a Logitech Harmony remote. I am looking for a good bang-for-buck remote. All I really want to do is to be able to click next song and scroll through song lists in my MP3 collection and it has to have a good stable driver for Win7. The Xbox 360 remote should be able to do it but no store sells the IR sensor that you connect to your PC and I think that one might only work with MCE and not just a standard media player like Winamp. What do by?

You can get a harmony 500 or 550 for around $50, and it will be the best spent money in your setup. I have a few, but am now waiting for a dev to create a cool remote control app for the iPad, how crazy would that be.

You can get a harmony 500 or 550 for around $50, and it will be the best spent money in your setup. I have a few, but am now waiting for a dev to create a cool remote control app for the iPad, how crazy would that be.

Pad Mouse App works as a KB/Mouse for your HTPC. PC and Mac

That Lenovo looks cool but in Canada they want ten bucks more and that code doesn't work either. CAD is pretty much on par with USD right now. Lenovo is IBM so should be good quality too so will do a web search to see if I can get a better price.

The Harmony 500 would be easy to get local but I've never seen them come with the IR receiver for the PC, or do they and I just never noticed?

Last edited:
I got my harmony 550's for $45 and $50 here on the buy/sell. You'll have to get an IR receiver but then you can program the harmony as an MCE KB and use it that way. I've heard the lenovo is pretty decent and they're coming out with new ones as well. You also have the gyration devices.

I have a USB IR receiver for a keyboard I use on the PS3. That receiver will work with the Harmony? I just remembered I have a Logitech wireless trackball. Will the receiver for it work with Harmony? And WTF does Logitech advertise the Harmony works with PC when they don't give you the needed receiver with it?

Last edited:
Yeah you should be able to. As for the Harmony 510, I think it only controls like 6 devices. I'd get the 520. That's about right for retail Harmony though. The 600 is coming out soon for $100. You can wait like I did and try to find one on craigslist or the forums here.

No, I would rather buy new. Remotes are a hotbed for germs.

6 is plenty for me, I only want it for my PC anyway. BTW, it's 5 devices on the 510 and not 6.

Last edited:
Turns out that 510 for $79.99 is the best I can do locally right now and the price is good because NCIX price is $98.00 and Logitechs own price is $99.99 CAD. I can go down the road and be back with one in 20 min. but if I get home and then find it doesn't work with my Logitech Trackball IR sensor or the cheap USB keyboard one I have I will be royally pissed because the only IR sensors I see Logitech selling are one's that work from up to 100 feet and through walls and cost close to $200.00. I see they sell ones that work with PS3 and 360 and those should work for PC too but even those are over overpriced for what they do. I don't need that fancy shit for just a remote for my PC. When I see remotes costing $450.00 I just shake my head in disbelief that someone would actually pay that for a remote.

I want that Lenovo keyboard/mouse combo but can't source one locally at all and that would work on my PS3 too. Thanks for the suggestions and think I will go for the 510 and if it doesn't work how I want will return it for a refund.

Last edited:
I just bought the Logitech DiNovo Mini and it's absolutely fantastic. Has backlighting, as well as a mouse pad (which can also be used as a D-pad) combined with keyboard all fitting in the palm of your hand. The only issue is that the software doesn't really work in the sense that you can't adjust the settings (but I haven't searched the forums as to how to solve that yet), but the software does load, and allows you to use the machine. That shouldn't deter you. My 8 year old is using it now so she can do Club Penguin on the TV is and having a blast.

Hmm, so you guys that suggested the Harmony remote care to tell me how I am supposed to control my PC with it? I bought the 510 and it doesn't work with either of the IR sensors for mouse or keyboard that I already have. Sure, I see it can learn PC controls but that is for computers that it recognizes with built in IR sensors. Learning mode does not work at all either. I just spent 4 hours screwing around with it and now I am sitting here with a $90.00 remote and still can't control Winamp from my couch. Only IR sensors Logi sell for Harmony are PS3/360 for $100.00 and some super duper IR for $200.00. There must be a part to the setup I am missing and if it is another Windows remote the Logi Harmony can learn I won't be a happy camper.

I just bought the Logitech DiNovo Mini and it's absolutely fantastic. Has backlighting, as well as a mouse pad (which can also be used as a D-pad) combined with keyboard all fitting in the palm of your hand. The only issue is that the software doesn't really work in the sense that you can't adjust the settings (but I haven't searched the forums as to how to solve that yet), but the software does load, and allows you to use the machine. That shouldn't deter you. My 8 year old is using it now so she can do Club Penguin on the TV is and having a blast.

I saw that when I was at Futureshop buying the Harmony 510. I also saw this sweet looking Microsoft wireless keyboard that is really thin and small with a cool curve to it for only $69.99 but it had no dedicated multimedia controls except volume.

I already have a BTC wireless keyboard that has built in mouse stick but I what I really want is just a small remote control device that will do what I need. But one that comes with an IR sensor of it's own already. For what Logi is charging for these Harmony remotes they should provide one with the remote. I see Windows remotes sold at NCIX for $30.00 and they come with the IR sensor.

snapstream firefly used to be the best but they have stopped making them. given choices i'd prefer a RF remote for that, much better than the IR.

Hi,

I've also got an Logitech Dinovo mini, and it fetchs perfectly my needs !
Small , good battery, work out of the box with Ubuntu/Xbmc (even the media key!).

Hmm, so you guys that suggested the Harmony remote care to tell me how I am supposed to control my PC with it? I bought the 510 and it doesn't work with either of the IR sensors for mouse or keyboard that I already have. Sure, I see it can learn PC controls but that is for computers that it recognizes with built in IR sensors.

One option would be a USB-UIRT receiver + Girder software, but this combo will cost as much as the remote itself (around $100). Plus Girder, though powerful, isn't exactly Plug'n'Play.

The wireless keyboard and IR receiver I have is MCE compatible but didn't have MCE running when I tried to get the Harmony to learn it so will try again. Thanks.

I'm keeping the Harmony now even if I can't get it to control my PC because after setting it up with my AV receiver, HDTV and PVR it works great for that purpose. Just one button and it turns on my HDTV, PVR and AV receiver with everything set to how I want it. Once I looked into setting up activities I realized how great this remote is for customization. I still think they should bundle a PC IR receiver with it though or have one as an inexpensive option to buy.

One option would be a USB-UIRT receiver + Girder software, but this combo will cost as much as the remote itself (around $100). Plus Girder, though powerful, isn't exactly Plug'n'Play.

Yea, I already posted that info. Nope, don't want to go that route. My wireless keyboard is MCE though so it is supposed to work with Harmony and will investigate that option further. Two other options are buy a Windows remote with IR for $35.00 from NCIX that the Harmony can emulate or buy a TV Tuner card with remote and IR sensor. I used to have a Tuner card with remote but traded it to a friend. I don't really want a Tuner card in my PC though as I don't have any real use for one.

Did you look at the link i posted? you can get receivers for ~$10

Have you tried setting up the remote using the harmony software and programming it online from your computer? Super easy to do and if the keyboard is mce compatible it should take 10 minutes to set up.

Have you tried setting up the remote using the harmony software and programming it online from your computer? Super easy to do and if the keyboard is mce compatible it should take 10 minutes to set up.

Yes, and already replied. I did already try to program for the MCE keyboard but must be doing something wrong so will look into it further. What I did was set it up as aPC and when it couldn't find my mb it said it would use emulation for an Asus laptop but that did jack all. I didn't see any option for setting up PC MCE keyboards, just computers. This morning I set up the Harmony for my other devices so haven't looked into the PC option further yet. I searched google last night on how to do it but found very little info except the girder software and IR sensor link. Mostly I got hits for sites wanting to sell me a Harmony remote.

OK, I have found out now why my MCE keyboard won't work. The Logitech client software actually told me that it can't recognize the signal from the sensor. I know it doesn't because that sensor has a light that flashes every time it recognizes a keyboard press and the Harmony remote does nothing at all. I am setting it up right too.

The Logitech trackball sensor won't work either because it is not even in the Harmony data base. There is a web page you can go to were you can check to see if a device is in their database and it is not. I am SoL with the tow IR sensors I have so would have to buy a compatible sensor to get it working to control my PC. None of those eBay sensors are guaranteed to work because they must be in the database or you have to have another remote for the sensors for the Harmony to use learning mode from. I have options open to me but they all cost a bit more money. It's either buy another compatible keyboard, a compatible windows remote or a compatible TV tuner card with remote. I was steered wrong by being told to buy a Harmony because I could have just bought a Windows remote for a lot less money and it would have worked out of the box. It's ok though because I like the Harmony for using with my other devices so don't regret buying it. I just still can't control Winamp from my couch 2 days later.

End of story.

Last edited:
my 890 works with my MCE ir reciever from a remote and i have programmed hotkeys on my harmony with the mce keyboard

Either you are doing something wrong or your hardware isn't mce compatible.

You need to set up the harmony as an MCE remote in the harmony software. If that doesn't work one of the ebay receivers should.

A harmony is a great purchase and is super easy to setup give that yopu have what you need. it seems like your receiver isnt actually mce compatible.

I've got a pair of Harmony 880s, and they're worth ever penny I paid... the latest one I acquired a few weeks ago off Amazon as a refurb for about $70...

"You need to set up the harmony as an MCE remote in the harmony software"

Where's that option? I have been trying both as a computer and as an MCE computer and neither is working at all. The Harmony software even said it can't communicate with the signal on one try. I checked out the Logitech Harmony support and they only list one specific MCE keyboard that will work for sure. The keyboard i have is a proper MCE keyboards because it has shortcut buttons for all the MCE features and they all work.

I don't want to use MCE anyway, I want to control Winamp. Winamp is not an MCE app. I solved the issue yesterday by going to Walmart and buying a wireless Philips gamepad for $20.00, it is a programmable gamepad but it turns out there is no 64bit driver. But I solved that too by finding a little portable app called Joycur that allowed me to prgram the gamepad. I can now sit on my couch and control Winamp with a wireless gamepad and all it cost me was twenty bucks.

Contrary to what some here may think, I do not wtf I am doing and you guys thinking the Harmony can control any wireless device is wrong. If it is not in their data base there is no guarantee it can control any IR receiver if you don't also have another remote for it to use learning mode with.

For example; Logitech makes an adapter to control PS3 but they want close to $100.00 for it. But there is a much cheaper way. There is a DVD remote made for the PS3 that has its own IR adapter. You buy that remote w/IR and the Harmony can control it. But, according to Logitech it only works with that one specific remote and not all such remotes made for the PS3.

If something isnt in their database you can teach the remote and upload to the database.

Its not a remote but I always have preferred a full keyboard. I am using the Logitech Dinovo Edge.

"You need to set up the harmony as an MCE remote in the harmony software"

Where's that option? I have been trying both as a computer and as an MCE computer and neither is working at all. The Harmony software even said it can't communicate with the signal on one try. I checked out the Logitech Harmony support and they only list one specific MCE keyboard that will work for sure. The keyboard i have is a proper MCE keyboards because it has shortcut buttons for all the MCE features and they all work.

I don't want to use MCE anyway, I want to control Winamp. Winamp is not an MCE app. I solved the issue yesterday by going to Walmart and buying a wireless Philips gamepad for $20.00, it is a programmable gamepad but it turns out there is no 64bit driver. But I solved that too by finding a little portable app called Joycur that allowed me to prgram the gamepad. I can now sit on my couch and control Winamp with a wireless gamepad and all it cost me was twenty bucks.

Contrary to what some here may think, I do not wtf I am doing and you guys thinking the Harmony can control any wireless device is wrong. If it is not in their data base there is no guarantee it can control any IR receiver if you don't also have another remote for it to use learning mode with.

For example; Logitech makes an adapter to control PS3 but they want close to $100.00 for it. But there is a much cheaper way. There is a DVD remote made for the PS3 that has its own IR adapter. You buy that remote w/IR and the Harmony can control it. But, according to Logitech it only works with that one specific remote and not all such remotes made for the PS3.

If a generic remote can handle Winamp, Harmony can too. You just have to make Harmony that generic remote (Dell, Philips, etc), then get the appropriate remote control plugin for that generic remote here: http://www.winamp.com/plugins/search/remote

To find another generic Windows remote in the Harmony database:

Add Device > Select Device > Computer > Computer or Media Center > then put in Philips under Manufacturer, then put in the model number. It may ask you to teach it 3 keys to ensure it's the right device, then it's ready to go.

As for the PS3 Harmony adapter, it's $51, not $100.

You can teach the Harmony to be a remote for an IR device even if it's not in the Harmony database. All you do is tell the Harmony software that there's no device in their database and it will give you the option to teach the Harmony the function of the original remote by simply pointing the original remote at the Harmony and choosing each button's assignment to the Harmony buttons.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i use ipod touch and airmouse app, you can configure the mouse to act like a gyro mouse or a ir mouse or just a trackpad(i use trackpad). and you get virtual keyboard.

If something isnt in their database you can teach the remote and upload to the database.

You can't teach the remote if all you have is the IR receiver and no other remote that goes with it. Learning mode learns from a remote and not IR receiver It can't learn from a wireless keyboard, gamepad or mouse either.

Its not a remote but I always have preferred a full keyboard. I am using the Logitech Dinovo Edge.

I already have that and my keyboard even has a mouse control stick attached to it but I wanted something a lot smaller than a keyboard to use. The programmable gamepad is doing what I need anyway so the problem is solved.

Back