Best Ram for OC'ing a E6600 or Q6600?

either of those chips can probably be topped out with cheap ddr2-800 value ram, but that works too :D

In that case, how about this instead?
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator DHX PC2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
I am using Vista so the going from 2GB to 4GB should give me a good performance boost.
What do you think?

yeah, i picked up a set at Fry's last week and i love them.. cant beat the 169.99 price with a 20 dollar mir.

I'm about put in $129 ($99 after rebate) for Corsair XMS2 2x1GB 5-5-5-12 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590) for my DS3 rev 1.0 (though I think that may be a problem with that DS3 rev http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188262).

I noticed the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator DHX PC2-6400C4 TwinX going for $249 ($209 after rebate) at tigerdirect.com. Is the better timing (4-4-4-12) enough to warrant the extra $110? How much of a performance would there be with my discounted memory?

I plan to upgrade to Q6600 too, and am looking for good extensible memory. Some time in the next few months, Intel is supposed to cost quad-core prices to half of what they do now (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6488) in anticipation of AMD launching Barcelona.

how would that be 4gb though, it's a 2x1gb kit.

WHOOPS, didn't notice they were 2x1GB.
Twin 2GB sticks are hard to get in the UK at the moment. Would be better to wait for decent 2GB sticks like Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator DHX PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB) or get 4x1GB sticks? If I can two lots of the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator DHX PC2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB), then each pair will still run in dual-channel mode.
Would performance be reduced affect running like that?

Someone from another forum recommended these:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C3 667MHz Dual Channel Kit
What do you guys think?
Budget is not a problem for me, I just want to get the best OC'ing memory for the Q6600 system I am planning to build.
Thanks.

Someone from another forum recommended these:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C3 667MHz Dual Channel Kit
What do you guys think?

They're good; really good, in fact, since they use Micron D9GMH ICs (i believe). Would you get 4x 1GB of those?

If I can be patient enough to save up the extra money I will definitely go for 4x1GB as I am running Vista and the extra 2GB will come in handy.
If I am going to build to killer PC I must not be cheap.

If I can be patient enough to save up the extra money I will definitely go for 4x1GB as I am running Vista and the extra 2GB will come in handy.
If I am going to build to killer PC I must not be cheap.

You could just get 2x 1GB now, then stick another set in there later if you haven't got all of the funds when you come to building.

What frequency and timings (including command rate) are you running your RAM at?

DDR2 1150MHz at 5,5,5,15, 2T. 2.1v. The timings can be tightened up but I haven't done that yet. I just installed my Core 2 Quad Q6600 and I haven't gone in and messed with everything. The memory is being configured by SPD values right nowI just got my OS installed last night after doing a pretty major overhaul to the box.

I installed 2GB more ram, new drive controller, two new hard drives, configured a RAID 5 array and only two or three days ago, I installed the new CPU.

I'll screw around with everything tonight and let you know what settings I end up with.

I'll screw around with everything tonight and let you know what settings I end up with.

Thank you. I'd be interested to see if your memory settings have been hindered by populating all of the slots in the motherboard; do you have previous settings, from your previous 2x 1GB configuration (providing you were using the same RAM, and have just added 2GB more of the same stuff), to compare the new settings, with 4x 1GB, to?

Thank you. I'd be interested to see if your memory settings have been hindered by populating all of the slots in the motherboard; do you have previous settings, from your previous 2x 1GB configuration (providing you were using the same RAM, and have just added 2GB more of the same stuff), to compare the new settings, with 4x 1GB, to?

I was using the same ram, and I don't remember what all my settings were. I haven't overclocked my setup since I upgraded to the Core 2 Quad. I will work on that this weekend. I'll overclock without the extra 2GB and then see what happens when I add it in there.

I'm amazed at the price of that 4GB Corsair set. I mean, a few months ago a 2GB set would've cost the same price; prices are decreasing to quickly.

Yeah I know.

I am personally amazed at how mcuh prices dropped recently on RAM and CPU's!

Yeah I know.

I am personally amazed at how mcuh prices dropped recently on RAM and CPU's!

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your computer from; I'm assuming you live in the UK, right? It's just i'm getting ready to buy mine in a month or so, and i was wondering if there was anywhere cheaper than scan or overclockers.

Back