Best RAM for Biostar mITX / 1800X Node202, which will use Asus

housecat

Gawd
Ordering the rest of my R7 1800X build tomorrow except for the motherboard. Very unsure on the RAM. Unsure if I should go with that 32GB kit or the AMD specific FlareX 16GB kit (F4-3200C14D-16GFX).

I intend to swap out the motherboard for an Asus mITX AM4 in the eventual release. So if I can't use that 32GB kit at 3200MHz today, and will probably be able to with a well-refined Asus board in 12 months, I'd prefer that. It's also Samsung b-die to my understanding but dual rank.

Also pairing this with a Geforce 1060 FE so while performance is important, I'll be GPU bound in any case so that's why I've been leaning towards the 32GB 3200MHz kit and accepting it however it runs... then one day putting it in an Asus board and hoping for full speed. I just don't know a lot of indepth info about Ryzen and memory and best way to go here so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $420.00)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($334.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $290.00)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2414H 23.8" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (Purchased For $200.00)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $110.00)
Mouse: Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $70.00)
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers (Purchased For $100.00)
Other: SteelSeries QcK mass Gaming Mouse Pad - Black (Purchased For $10.00)
Other: StarTech.com 50m 160-Feet Class 1 EDR Wireless Mini USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Adapter (USBBT1EDR4) ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Koss BT539iW Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Volume Control - White (Purchased For $70.00)
Other: StarTech.com USB-C to USB Adapter – 6in – USB-IF Certified – USB-C to USB-A – USB 3.1 Gen 1 – USB C Adapter – USB Type C ($16.48 @ Newegg)
Other: Biostar Racing X370GTN mITX ($130.00)
Other: Geforce 1060 Founders Edition 6GB (Purchased For $190.00)
Total: $2573.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 15:03 EDT-0400

It's hard to say. The memory list on Biostar's website is scant.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=879#memorysupport

Even the Flare X isn't listed. Most likely they just haven't tested much, but who knows?

If you really need 32GB then you can try it. Speeds seem to start at 2133, and you can most likely reach 2400 (maybe more if you're lucky). But if you really want the speed, then the Flare X may be a safer choice.

What do you think I'm giving up going from 3200 to 2400Mhz in gaming performance, 10% tops? I'm thinking with a 1060, that 10% may not even show up. But with the infinity fabric as it is, I'm more wary than usual to end up with slower RAM. It just seems too like Ryzen doesn't really take off in performance until you get to 3600Mhz, but is difficult to do without a lot of fiddling. I'm not willing to do all that paired with a 1060.

I should mention it may get a 1080Ti in it one day, when I get a Vive.. so speed does matter. 32GB is mainly for a RAM drive (which may not even be worth it anymore).

In the event I go for the FlareX, I'm probably going to step up my SSD from the 600P to 960 EVO 1TB to compensate for the lack of RAM drive capacity. I'm not even sure you gain much with RAM drives for gaming regardless.

I went from 2400 speed TridentZ to 3200 FlareX. I saw about 5 - 10% improvement in most games I tried. I did give up 32GB for 16GB but I don't think this is an issue as hardly any games will take advantage of over 16GB.

I haven't played with RAM drives in years, I can can't really comment there. AFAIK RAM disk are to boost loading time, will they really boost performance at all?

I don't think so unless there's a ton of streaming textures, which is kind of a bad engine design IMO anyway. I think Rage had streaming MegaTexture tech that did something like that.

Yeah, 10% is an unnecessary gimp. I'm going to keep reviewing stuff for the next hour or so but will probably just go for the FlareX and step up to a 960 EVO 1TB to compensate for losing the fun of the full 32GB. :) Will sell off my 600P 1TB since they're still pretty desirable.

I went from 2400 speed TridentZ to 3200 FlareX. I saw about 5 - 10% improvement in most games I tried. I did give up 32GB for 16GB but I don't think this is an issue as hardly any games will take advantage of over 16GB.

I haven't played with RAM drives in years, I can can't really comment there. AFAIK RAM disk are to boost loading time, will they really boost performance at all?

Thanks for your thoughts today kind Sir! You really helped me make the decision. I placed my order just an hour or so ago.. only thing left is the Biostar mITX board when it lands (I'm expecting on the 1st of May). I wanted to get the parts here earlier, and Cryorig makes you fill out a form with receipts to get the AM4 mounting kit. http://www.cryorig.com/getam4.php I don't want to be waiting on something like that.

Decided on the 16GB FlareX kit since it worked so well for you. I suspect 16GB is plenty.

I did treat myself to the 960 EVO 1TB to make up for it as I mentioned. I haven't built a new system since 2009 and once this is running I don't have any plans to do much other than perhaps a 1080Ti (or equivalent at the time) for a HTC Vive, and I'm very likely to swap out the motherboard for the Asus mITX whenever one lands. Especially if I have any problems with the Biostar. Should be a good system for a while.

Now just to sell my 600P 1TB that I have sitting here since I no longer need it. I was going to put it into a Thinkpad T470 but the FRU BOM isn't available yet for the T470 and you need an adapter to put in an NVME M.2 drive in those.

End result: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6TMCVY

Nice. The 960 Evo is hella-fast. I'm sure you'll love it.

One thing to note on the Cryorig AM4 kits. I bought a C1 about a week and a half ago. Emailed in for the AM4 kit immediately, and they said they were working on the kits and would let me know when they were available. Pretty disappointed as the marketing material implied they were ready. Still haven't received anything or any other emails.

Ended up getting a Noctua cooler that was an AM4 special edition, so included the right brackets. It's a low-profile cooler, which worked for me but it looks too big for your case. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5BC4478

Yeah I got the same email that the adapter isn't ready. I'm afraid I'll have to wait on them for that. Yes, very misleading there. That's a good way to get a sale and an angry customer and burn some hard earned reputation for sure.
I'm going to be bothering them about it since I have no other option. I stayed up till 4AM last night seeing what my cooling options are and the C7 is the only thing that works today. I looked at your Noctua and definitely would've gone that way if it would've fit. 56mm max height and ~58-60mm with the filter out. Most of the great ones like yours are 70mm or so.

Normally in a situation like this I'd cancel or return my order unopened and order the alternative product like a 7700K.. but not sure I'm willing to go to that at this point.. will just have to wait it out with a lot of calls and support tickets to Cryorig. Certainly couldn't be more than a couple weeks I'd hope.
May end up regretting waiting for Ryzen after all this time if this is a month long wait or more.

Last I heard on Reddit, Cryorig would have the AM4 kits in mid April, but we're already there and I haven't seen an update. I can't imagine it would be much longer.

If I were you, I would just wait it out. Especially since you have at least a week until the motherboard is available, and you may have the kit by then. Good luck.

The smart move in this day and age would be if a company like Cryorig would just grant two options.. the 3D printer schematic and the kit. Then those of us who could drive to a nearby Microcenter to have the plastic adapter printed out could do so.. or just submit it online to a website that does 3D printing, either way. Makes more sense in 2017 but these companies aren't very well run. I bought an Arctic Cooling HS years ago and had the fan die, supposedly I could get a replacement from them but they ignored my support request so they're forever off the list.

Got an email from Cryorig. They said the AM4 kit was just shipped and will be here in a week.

No email for me. I must be way down the queue. One would assume that they started manufacturing them and they're the same exact parts they're going to include with their AM4 coolers anyway. So they hopefully didn't just make a small batch.

Back