• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best RAID for 4x HDD server?

Sayth

Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2001
Messages
618
Hey All,

I have a new Dell R310 Server with 4x 1TB HDD to work with. Data storage is more important than up-time.

Dell sent the server with 3x Raid 5 with the OS on a partition and then 2x Raid 1.

To get the most storage, I was thinking Raid 5 across all 4 HDDs with OS and Data on both. What do you think? Bad idea? Okay idea? Good idea?

Normally I would go Raid 1 for OS and Raid 5 for data, but in this case I need more space...

opinions?
 
For 4 drives I would normally recommend raid 10 since you do not need purchase an expensive ($400+ US) raid controller for raid 10. Instead with raid 10 the motherboard raid should be just fine. However if you paid dell for the server and they put raid 5 on it most likely they put a hw raid controller on it.
 
At really depends on your needs.

Will this be a NAS/Fileserver? If so, then ~125MB/s over gigabit will be your bottleneck. You might as well go RAID5 or RAIDZ.

RAID 10 or 0+1 will be faster but still the gigabit will be your bottleneck so its kinda pointless unless you REALLY need the ability to have 1 discs fail at once.
 
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes this machine's main duty will be for file storage so I'm not concerned about r/w speeds so much as redundancy. I was just wondering if someone would pipe up and say "OS on the same lun or volume as your data??? You're an idiot!"

I will likely go RAID5 across all and have a small partition for OS.

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top